Fuel economy - GTi vs 1.4 Sport

GTi Si

I have been reading the VW and Top Gear info.

VW quote combined fuel economy as 38.2 for the GTi and 41.5 for the 1.4 Sport

Top Gear (and other places) quote combined fuel economy as 40.4 for the GTi and 45.6 for the 1.4 Sport.

Which one is correct? :?

If I go through annual costs and fuel costs (minus fuel expenses from work) the savings are as follows between them:

VW = £110 vs TG = £178

Is it me or is the GTi only slightly more expensive to run each year? Only between £10 and £14 a month more!

Maybe I should get a GTi biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Any views?

S

You should get a GTI! twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" />

It depends entirely on how you drive it - one of the members on here got 400 miles from a tank, which worked out at around 60mpg!! But then, he drove it very carefully all the time, just to see how much he could squeeze out.

I, on the other hand, have a very heavy foot, and I get around `25-30mpg` depending on how much motorway driving I do (I drive faster than most on the motorway, which doesn't help).

So it really does depend how you drive it. It can be very economical without much effort, if that's what you want.

Cool smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

My milage rates at work vary depending on engine size. So with the relative MPG's and cost per mile I am better getting the GTi.

But of course the insurance and tax is more sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I wish the diesel had more standard kit, even ABS would be good!

S

i got just under 40mpg on my first tank (new GTI). that was driving it carefully but did have a mix of heavy traffic / town driving / `b-roads` & motorway.

at the mo, cos im having to drive it carefully im spending far less on fuel than my 1.4 sport. like snoop said, its down to how you drive it.....theres no point trying to calculate it down to the exact fuel cost per model - dont you ever just stick some petrol in and go for a blast down some `b-roads` / be late for work and have to put your put down etc etc?

LOL, you know I would Alex biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Bad spelling, I meant I test drove it today and if I owned one I would have bad mpg!

Wish I hadn't driven it now as I want one sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Wanted ad posted biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

S