900w 12" sub powered by a 1200w amp

ok i've got a sub and amp and i was just wonderin if it would be loud enough without my car fallin to bits. i also have another 600w kenwood 10" sub. if i was to put that in and use another amp...will that be to loud? i just like my music and was wondering if you guys who already have a nice sound system will think thats ok? or just one sub would be ok? cheers, joh

Right!

Big numbers of watts doesnt mean alot, a good 300w sub in a well designed box will sound ALOT better and even louder than a 1000w cheap sub in a wrong sized box,

So, what 12" sub is it? and what amp will you be running? also will you be running a custom box?

Rich,

A lot of people look at the "Max" power ratings, which are essentially completely made up by the manufacturer - They generally have no relation to the actual output or handling capabilities of the stuff - I saw some "2000w" 6x9s, which actually hit the physical end stops running from a 2x45w RMS amp!. You need to look at the RMS figure of the amp to have any real idea of how loud it will end up.

a "1200w MAX" amp is probably about 350w RMS, which is not earth shatteringly loud, but reasonably loud.

Box design can make a huge difference too, as can the size of the sub, but you'd have to try hard to make 350w RMS not sound loud loud!

kool guys cheers, its not really the loudness im goin for really... i just want a decent bass note where i can feel the beat abit more than a tin-ey sound. a know the wattage and stuff dont mean nothin but just aslong as i have enough to power from my amp to power a sub is fine. its a custom box i'm tryin to get/make ...what makes a good one? i think i'l just go for the one sub and sell the other.

i just got the same amp as my mate and its powerin just fine, and i know a guy who has been runnin the same maked amp for about a year and its not blown yet on him. i dont know the make but it sounds decent enough.

1 sub will be plenty unless you are a bass whore like some!

A good sound will come from a good box, to get a good box you will need to make it to the correct specifications of the sub, and from there you can tune it to what frequency you'd like, and you have the option of a sealed box or ported,

Sealed box would be best if going in a lupo boot as it would need to be larger if ported...

Rich,

1 sub will be plenty unless you are a bass whore like some!

A good sound will come from a good box, to get a good box you will need to make it to the correct specifications of the sub, and from there you can tune it to what frequency you'd like, and you have the option of a sealed box or ported,

Sealed box would be best if going in a lupo boot as it would need to be larger if ported...

Rich,

kool cheers, all i need to do is decide on what sub i want lol. thanks for the advice

what make is the 12" sub? if its somthing like a fusion or mutant etc etc dont bother my friend stick with the 10" kenwood ull get alot nice sound and dont worry about the amp being to powerfull for the sub you can allways turn the gain down :D lol

the type of box also depends on which type off bass you perfer a more rounded deep bass go for ported box, crisper tight punchy bass go for sealed