Bit of a Bump..

NickSL

Well I was behind someone queuing at a roundabout today and there where no cars coming round so they went to go. Last minute they changed their mind and decided to perform an emergency stop. Now my reaction time wasn't really very good at all (Didn't even notice for a few metres.. :/) And I ended up in their back bumper. My fault for not paying attention. Not too much damage to their car and not too much to mine however, The grill is a bit broken and the plastic panel around the grill is in need of replacing. The bonnet won't open no matter what I do and the bumper is bent in.

I just had a few questions :). Does anyone know of a way to open the bonnet so I can properly assess the damage? Does anyone know of any good Body shop places to get this drepaired around the poole/bournemouth area? Finally, Is there a support bar behind the front bumper (Probably need replacing too if there is)? Im thankful that I was only doing 8-10mph so the damage is minimal and no one was hurt. Thanks.

did you manage to get your bonnet opened? exactly same thing happened to me. just went to garage and got it open for a few quid. my cable snapped and the whole lock got pushed lop sided. i just unscrewed it and added a new cable and screwed the whole thing back on.

Not yet, I took it to my local Garage and he said it was about a £300 fix including parts but didn't want to open the bonnet in case he couldn't shut it again. Did you see how he opened it? Im tempted to rip the grill out because It looks like i'll need a new one anyway. If it is just that it sounds great - Thanks for your help and i'll keep the cable in mind. I assumed the metal of the catch just got bent or something but the cable seems a much more likely option.

what £300?? lol thats insane. tbh if the whole thing was effed then i assume all you would need is a whole new lockin system and that wouldnt cost £300....i didnt see how he opened it but he just attached a cable tie on to it so i would be able to open it and shut it again. all i needed was the new cable.

it cost me £10 to get it opened plus he filled up all my bits and bobs, water, oil etc and i got a cable tie from a scrappy for £2...moved the lock myself ...though all i need is a new grill (as mine snapped too) and fix the dent on my bonnet which i got quoted for £40 so all that would only cost about £67?

edit: oops didnt see the dent in your car but also shouldnt cost £300...i bumped my neighbours car and they had to get the whole panel fixed and that only costed £100 sprayed aswell!

Edited by gucciwah

Looks like I need a new Garage :) Thanks for your help - Ill go out and take a look in the morning. The dent is pretty minor but He was going on about the support bar behind the bumper being broken!?! Ill shop around a bit I think and get a few quotes. Thanks again for your help.

Sorry, forgot to reply :)

Yeah that included everything - its more then likely I will go with them. Well actually, doesn't look like I'll have enough money to keep the car as the people I went into the back of wan't £1350 for repairs (Yeah right, less then 10mph and Iv'e only been quoted £300 for mine..) So yeah might have to go through insurance and I won't be able to afford the new premium. Bye bye lupo :(

i went through insurance as the dude wanted £500 to repair his annnnd wants to use my car for 3 days.

the police came to the scene of the accident and they even checked his motor and said it was fine and it was just the small dent on his bumper that needed fixed.

anyway point is...insurance people will have a list of garages they want them to go to so the other people wont go to some back street one and bump hell out of you

To be honest mate that's not an uncommon thing to do.

I had something similar with my old 172, dim bint in front went to go. I'm looking right and preparing to go. Look forward to see she's just stopped. Nearly put my foot through the floor and thankfully stopped in time but can see how it happens.

I sometimes think that the whole rear end smash scenario really isn't as clear cut as insurance companies make you believe.