Bloody weird noise!

Alex_225

Only happened today and only seemed to last for a few minutes each time.

Basically a loud fairly high pitched whirring noise. Oddly enough I didn't realise it was my car at first. Could hear it but was in traffic, turned off the engine and could still hear it so assumed it was another car. Then turned off the engine again and it stopped.

Same thing happened as I was in a car park, suddenly started again although this time it stopped as soon as I turned off the ignition?

Likely to be anything serious? Fan belt? :huh:

You said it carried on after you turned it off , but then the next time it cut off s you turned the ignition off, could it not be the fan bearing and be coincidence that the fan was going to cut out at the same time you turned the ignition off.

Other than that it leaves the options of moving parts on idle, so pulleys and belts really, and the alternator itself .

Edited by scotty_82

Quick fix would be wd40 with the straw on and give it a squirt , may just be a touch dry.

i have this prob at moment matey i just aint got round to it have noticed its me fan it self i was in traffic all of a sudden a heard this noise thought what the hell so a pulled in to carpark and looked under bonnet (after a turned engine off like) and the noise was there and fan was spinning and whining looked a right c**k when people was looking at car in car parked with this noise going on me with bonnet up looking at this fan looking puzzled lol a just said out loud f**k it lol and as a said that fan stopped i looked round got back in car n drove off lol

I'm guessing what with the hot weather the fan is working that bit harder as well!

They have a personality of their own these cars, I've just noticed that as its warmed up the engine management light has gone off. Had it on for the last 8 months! lol