eatonM45 on french gti

guillaume2

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first mapping was made in July , with the standart ecu , it was difficult but finish by good , the first power was 165ch with 0,4bar , but after 300km test , we had a problem with engine , after having measured the compression ratio we found the cylinder 2 to 0 compression , actually I'm waiting for a place in a garage of a friend to open the engine to check problems , I looking for change pistons and rods like casperGTI , balanced crankshaft , shrink camshafts , hard clutch , I am not pressed because the QUAIFE occurs only in early 2010 , it leaves me time to disassemble and buy parts

I think it's the pistons rings , I read and reread casper's post about the pistons and pistons rings , I contacted performances unlimited , they know this engine and rings problem now , it's a advantage , but I hope not to be damaged the block if it's a piston ring who broke

• 4 months later...

it's start for replacement of

-forged pistons and connecting rods

-polishing pipes valves

-Balancing crankshaft

-strong clutch

-lightening of flywheel

-valves, springs and push new

-and some other things

last week , the engine has been released , It was very cold

photo001or.jpg

photo002qv.jpg

photo003rj.jpg

photo009t.jpg

photo013s.jpg

photo019j.jpg

photo021m.jpg

photo023t.jpg

photo024r.jpg

this week , I dismantled the engine

...to be continued

That's what's happens when you don't use a decompression plate! That has made a big mess!

Looks bad, is the block/bores damaged? Oversized pistons are gong to be needed, have you ordered yours through performance unlimited?

John

Anybody planning on nitrous, superchargers or turbos, take note.

The problem is, cast pistons and a massive compression ratio... Causing detonation, busting the ring lands.

Oh well, you know you need forged pistons, so thats a good thing, cant wait to see it rebuilt.

If I were you, overbore it, nothing to loose (Depending on what John says)

I don't know if it's a ring problem or ... "cliquetis" in French --> Auto Ignition???

do you think I need the decompression plate with the forged piston's ?

I don't think the block is damaged , this is in 3D , a small re-bore would be sufficient

Yes, you need a decompression plate OR need to drop the compression by shortening the rods by 3mm to drop the compression ratio to 8.5:1. If you do not, you will end up with pre-detination (pinking), which will melt your lovley new pistons.... and you will probably melt the valves and snap head bolts due to the CR being too high. After heavy driving, the charge air gets very warm, which also does not help.

have you got any pictures of the bores?

That piston has broken becasue of the high compression pressures you had when running boost and not lowering the compression ratio, the edges will give up before the crown on these pistons becasue of how high and how thick the centre gudgeon pin area is.

have you ordered your pistons yet?

Yes, you need a decompression plate OR need to drop the compression by shortening the rods by 3mm to drop the compression ratio to 8.5:1. If you do not, you will end up with pre-detination (pinking), which will melt your lovley new pistons.... and you will probably melt the valves and snap head bolts due to the CR being too high. After heavy driving, the charge air gets very warm, which also does not help.

have you got any pictures of the bores?

That piston has broken becasue of the high compression pressures you had when running boost and not lowering the compression ratio, the edges will give up before the crown on these pistons becasue of how high and how thick the centre gudgeon pin area is.

have you ordered your pistons yet?

not yet

I have just 1 photo of the damaged cylinder

photo018e.jpg

Edited by guillaume2

casper --> do you thinks I can buy the same parts as you ? in the same size ?

No not in the same size. You will need to re-bore the block to remove the damage, if it is within the allowable limits for the engine.

Then let dave at performance unlimited know the size of the bore that you have had the engine machined to, and he will design the pistons for your engine.

John

• 1 month later...

Thats alot of weight lost, you will need to be on the throttle when the fan kicks in. And you might have issues with the engine idling. It will be good if it works though.

You might have issues with the engine revving too fast and stalling the charger. Which will cause belt slip, i had that issue and had to change the pulleys to keep tension.

Remember, with the new rods. You need to make new oil jets.

I take it you got the same set as me from performance unlimited?

John

Edited by CasperGTI

casper --> yes it's the same set :P

Good, you wont be disappointed with that.

What bore size did you go for after the damage in your block? How much did you have to take off to remove the mark?

John