Lupo Sport Gearbox

Lupo Sport

Anyone else got a Lupo Sport that has experienced gearbox problems?

I was driving last Thursday night and kept on crunching into gears when changing. If I put my foot as hard as I could to the floor it improved slightly. I dropped my car off at the garage on Friday and was advised today that I need a new gearbox.

The mechanic advised that this was quite common despite having done 39k miles on a W reg. He said he had fitted new gearboxes to Lupo Sports before and 1 had only done 27k miles.

He also said something about pieces of metal coming out when he drained the gearbox fluid (or oil...whatever it is!).

Anyone else had this or aware of this?

Im so annoyed at this as I've already had my engine rebuilt this year due to a oil leak problem and this is another expense I cant really afford. If I'd known all this up front I would have avoided the Sport model completely.

Any thoughts?

Not the pedal box problem is it?

If it crunched into all gears I would question whether the clutch is disengauging fully as its unlikely you would crunch all gears if it was a gearbox problem.

If it is the pedal box you can complain like hell until they do it free seing as VW know its a problem part.

yup, ive had a new gearbox, new pedal box and an engine

vw reliability eh!!!

my gearbox went when the car had done around 48k miles and I also had to pay £700 for a new one.....vw scamming lovely persons

just make sure if you get a chance to extend the warranty do it!

On the 1.0 I always used to have problems getting it into reverse, it was never keen on going in and if you didn't have it right in it used to pop out and make the most horrible sound ever. It always used to happen in multi stories or somewhere where there was people around. One of my mums old 1,0 Polo's did the same too so I wasn't that bothered by it as I thought it was just crap VW design!

So far (anyway) the 1.4 box is holding up much better.

"If I put my foot as hard as I could to the floor it improved slightly"

I had the same problem on a my Sport and it was the pedal box, finally gave up the ghost on a set of traffice lights on the A224. £300 to put right. I'd be suprised id it was the gearbox, but any more "crunching" and that might be knackered as well pretty soon.

QUOTE(tdwindustries)
My pedals all started feeling a bit weird, my cltuch is clunky and makes a noise when its down... odd.... i am booking it in but if anyone has any ideas... cheers

thats exactly what mine did when my pedal box went. vw did mine for free under warrenty.. mine cruches into 5th sometimes when raggin it.. probably my dodgy gear shiftin tho.. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

my 2002 sports done nearly 44,000 miles and i've had no funny crap with my gearbox.. im willin to bet a lot of money it's the pedal box.. :wink:

Hi egnor egg phrase its my mates view of it!

Open bonnet find clutch cable follow back up to bulkhead there should be a black plastic cage, the clutch cable should at its widest point (freeplay device) fit into this cage. (1.4 100bhp sport)

These gadgets are supposed to keep the right amount of freeplay in clutch cabel, but!! if it siezes up this dont happen, this then means clutch is not adjusting right hence grabbing crunching etc. Leading onto gearbox probs.

Steve.