1.4 16v lupo (75bhp)

FeaRThiS

Hi I have been reading the past posts for a few days now but have still been unable to find a detailed list of engine mods/tuning for the 1.4 75bhp model I want to increase bhp while keeping the same engine (insurance wont allow a 1.6gti swap before any1 tells me 12points and onli having held my license for 2 months says its not possible) I already have a k&n airfilter which i am changin for a bmc in a few weeks will be gettin a custom exhaust in the next few weeks also and dont want to go down the route of supercharging or turboing the car. So what other mods are possible ?

Cheers

It would be far cheaper to buy a Lupo Sport (1.4 16v 100bhp) than modify your 75bhp car to that of anywhere near a Sport.

And with a Sport its possible to hit the power of a GTI 125bhp with a BMC, manifold, decat and a remap. Obviously not as much torque but hey.

4-2-1 manifold? Hold on, you have 12 points and been driving 2 months?! Huh?!

yes i got 6 points around almost 3 years ago driving a fiesta xr2i IN10 = 6 points + fine

then last year Audi Coupe 2.2 IN10 = 6 point plus fine

both when i was on my provisional so fortunatly for me i could still take my test and hold a license

and yes i know it would be much easier to just go and buy a 100bhp 1.4 sprot but i have been limited by my insurance company to under group5 and im pretty sure that the sport is group 5 or 6

yes i got 6 points around almost 3 years ago driving a fiesta xr2i IN10 = 6 points + fine

then last year Audi Coupe 2.2 IN10 = 6 point plus fine

both when i was on my provisional so fortunatly for me i could still take my test and hold a license

and yes i know it would be much easier to just go and buy a 100bhp 1.4 sprot but i have been limited by my insurance company to under group5 and im pretty sure that the sport is group 5 or 6

Seat Arosa Sport = Group 5

Volkswagen Lupo Sport = Group 6

The Lupo is one group higher being a naturally good looking car. :P

Seat Arosa Sport = Group 5

Volkswagen Lupo Sport = Group 6

The Lupo is one group higher being a naturally good looking car. :P

lol i agree but i have choose the best car i can possible insure and this had the most bhp that an insurer will allow as mine is only group 3

The 75hp engine is the best to tune IMO.

The gear ratios are better than the Sport, and the trottle is cable operated so you have more choice with different throttle bodies.

There's a thread regarding what cams are in each engine, I'll find it tommorrow.

The gear ratios are better than the Sport, and the trottle is cable operated so you have more choice with different throttle bodies.

There's a thread regarding what cams are in each engine, I'll find it tommorrow.

Cheers Tigz you always seem to have the answers to all my questions ;)

The first engine I was going to use was a 75hp Polo engine, the ECU on most was programable unlike the Sport and GTI with ignition as well as fueling.

With a Polo GTI inlet manifold and larger cable operated TB good gains could be had.

Manifold and exhaust later I think you'd do well.

I have the email addy of a company down south that have experiance reprogramming the Maginelli (sp?) ECU. I'll see if I can find it.

In that sense the 75bhp ones are best to tune. But I chose a Sport because VW have taken some of the hard work out of it..i.e. cat cams and a larger throttle body. That and the fact that the Sport is higher spec all around, rear disc brakes etc. Gear ratio's on a Sport are lame.

But everyone has their own opinion. :)

What hard work have they done?

They have not touched the head, the cams are different yes but theres not much more.

The throttle body is slightly larger, but its flyby wire so not ideal for tuning.

It has rear discs, yes thats a nice to have but it certainly wouldn't make me choose a sport over a S just for that.

I'm pretty sure you'd find a 100bhp S would be faster than a 100bhp Sport.

The Polo GTI engine I bought for the Lupo was also Cable operated.

There are examples out there, but they are rare.

The benifit of the 75hp engine is it will be cable.

so the rare Sport/GTI throttle cable throttle body can be used.