My car thinks it's a tractor

Hi all

I have a Lupo 1.4 sport and yesterday it decided to start making strange noises. Basically it's gone from running really sweet to sounding like it's a tractor or a diesel at least. It sounds kinda rough on idle but as soon as I accelerate it sounds plain awful... any ideas?

I was thinking that it might be the front exhaust blowing (but it's def coming from the engine area so I'm not too sure)... I've always had aircooled engines before so I'm totally lost with watercooled cars lol

Edited by Dub-Diva

Sure can - took 2 recordings earlier - one from cold and one when I'd driven about a bit (very slowly lol) - when hot it sounds like freewheeling on a push bike - a high speed click click click kind of noise, almost like a ball bearing spinning....... it's weird <_<

I will be back when I've worked out how to upload a recording...

This one was cold start up

th_28-07-08_1055.jpg

This one was after it was driven for a couple of miles, so you could say the engine was "warm"

th_28-07-08_1103.jpg

This one was after the engine had got properly "hot"

th_28-07-08_1325.jpg

Recorded on my daughter's phone... so the sound quality isn't great I'm afraid :rolleyes:

All righty then... after speaking to my (very trusted) independent garage, he's 99% sure that it's the exhaust manifold gasket that's gone... he also mentioned a possibly cracked manifold but I'm hoping that it isn't cos I've checked with VW directly and according to the parts department there aren't any in the UK and I'll have to back order one to come in from Germany... at a cost of £149.46 plus VAT... let's just hope it's only the gasket! Still going to cost a pretty penny... been told it will be between £140 and £150 to fix :o

Edited by Dub-Diva

There are new manifolds going for cheaper than that on Ebay although this was a few months ago, no harm in looking again.

That sounds slightly different to what I was expecting. I'm not too sure on the manifold theory, my mk2 downpipe was loose for a while and it didn't sound like a tractor at all although it is a completely different engine.

It could well be the gasket, my mk2 made a horrible rattling noise where the gasket was knocking against the manifold and downpipe. There is no way the manifold would split, if VW are good at making anything...its the manifold! I know 20 year old Polo's which still run the same manifold from birth.

Sounds more like an engine problem although I don't want to scare you lol. I'd wait on a few expert opinions though, bound to be someone on the forum who knows what that noise is. Could possibly be worn out valves but I'm not an expert on this.

Nick.

From description alone it sounds like the end bearings, had the big end bearings go on my previous 106 engine, commonly known as a "death rattle", usually from lack of oil in the engine :blush:

My husband seems to think it might be the timing belt tensioner or something...

She has plenty of oil - I've checked her oil and water bi-weekly and kept her topped up when she needed it - right now the oil is half way along the hashed marking on the dip stick... normally I'd top her up but she's gone off to the garage this morning and I've just got back from dropping her off... so I guess I'll just have to sit here feeling sick with worry all day for his phone call..... :(

Edited by Dub-Diva

Well.......... garage just called.......... they now suspect that it's the water pump that's clattering and banging around in there - it sounded SO loud and rough this morning when I got it to the garage... the pump is being replaced and one of the belts is loose too so that's being replaced... told him to do both belts and the pump whilst he's in there cos then we know that the belt and pump have def been done as the previous owner wasn't too sure if the owner before her had it done or not and the car is 8 years old now so it's due a change soon I suppose :unsure:

Edited by Dub-Diva