Opinions/help please!

Ok I finally got my front speakers `up-graded` last weekend so I've now got these little beasts http://www.jlaudio.com/evolution/XR650CS.html running nicely (don't ask me how much they cost either!) they sound fantastic although was told they'd sound even better running from an amp...

So...my amp is going in this Friday coming (this one http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/e4300.html). For those "experts" out there, it's a `4-channel` amp and was told having this will leave my options open regarding future improvements like if i want rear speakers or a sub fitted.

Now this is where you folks come in... I'd like your "`not-biased`" opinions on have I made the right choice of amp (not make, just power!) also as to whether rear speakers are worth it or whether a sub option is better :? Or do I think, ****** it, and change my order to a 2 channel amp (which is £75 cheaper!) and forget about additional sound

Help please! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

How much were the speakers, if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking about upgrading my Focals to something with a bit more midbass (since the focals are only 13cm, a bigger speaker should help a bit).

I will say that adding a sub was by far the most `cost-effective` improvement I made to my system.

Not enough power for those comps really mate.

They require at least 70wrms @ 4ohm but the amp will only give you 45wrms assumeing those speakers are 4ohm not 2ohm. Which I think they are.

You would get a better sound if you forget about the rear speakers altogether.

Tweets Mids and a sub work because they are not fighting against each other trying to play the same frequencies.

The problem is, that amp when bridged will only give 90wrms @ 4ohm so its no where near powerfull enough.

As Sub bass is harder to hear by the human ear you need at least 3x more power than your componants to play at the same level without any clipped (dirty) signal.

How much have you got to spend on an amp mate?

An amp isnt really like speakers where buying the best will make a diffrence to the sound.

So long as the main signal is good from your h/u and your speakers are of good quality, any amp will do.

All you need to look for in an amp is the RMS rateing and how good the power supply is.

If you are adiment that you want JL all round then I would go for the 2 channel amp, and then if you do want a sub at a later date then you can buy another more powerful amp.

Have you got a link for the 2 channel amp you are looking at?

How much were the speakers, if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking about upgrading my Focals to something with a bit more midbass (since the focals are only 13cm, a bigger speaker should help a bit).

Snoop your system sounded great, if you are looking for more mid bass, why not look at a couple of 5" Foal subs in mini boxes under the seats?

Your SQ was so good I wouldnt mess with it.

2x 5" subs playing `50hz-100hz` and your comps playing everything over 100hz would sound electric.

Source sounds Sheffield told me about them, I heard a set in one of the lads Bora.

He had two in a box in his glove box. No other subs and it was as loud as mine!

I've got to call them toinight when I finish work and ask about your other little problem so I'll ask about these for ya.

I cant remember how much he was gonna do me some for, but I know it was pretty cheap if you bought two!

What about Genesis? they are the only true UK made amps....Just a thought :!:

I'm going to fit 2 x Profile 2 channels amps to run JL VR600 + 2 x JL W0 8" subs twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" />

QUOTE(snoopstah)
How much were the speakers, if you don't mind me asking?

Those speakers cost me £370 - well they are top of the range JL ones! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

@ Andi, thanks for the advice, I've not a clue about this ohms business :oops: but never mind, the guy in the audio shop said it was defo powerful enough (my sister has the same amp with all 4 channels bridged to get the 300W needed for her sub)

The amp only cost me £225, £75 off and they wired my car up ready for whenever I wanna have a sub (can manage an 8" 125W one on the same amp) or speakers fitted at a later date!

It's made hell of a difference to the sound of my speakers too, no matter how loud you have them, you don't lose any clarity, also you only have the volume setting on low and it sounds REALLY loud smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

All in all, money well spent biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />