What Petrol?

DanGTI

Only recently noticed in the Arosa handbook that for the 1.4 16v model its supposed to use 98 RON fuel only and any lower can damage the engine!

Luckily Ive used optimax most of the time which I think is 98, is this the same for the Lupo Sport and GTI? Does anyone else do 98 RON cos it isnt always easy finding a Sheel garage? Anyone got any ideas about this?

95RON is normal petrol, 97RON is Super Unleaded, 98 is Optimax/Ultimate (although Ultimate only guarantees 97).

I've run mine on 97+ for the last 10,000 miles without exception. Don't know if it's worth it or not though smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

ive been using optimax for the last month or so. can't really tell performace wise - its gotta be better than 95 tho, it seems to run a bit better from cold, but that just might be me thinking that.

There's a definate difference, in the GTi anyway, between 95 and super. I used to harp on about Sainsbury's Super being a good, cheap super, and it is - I still use it - but it's not a patch on the tank of Optimax I had the other day. I didn't really think the difference would be that noticable, but it is.

Been running my Gti on 95 since I purchased. Took it to the garage the other day for some warranty work and that they said I need to use 98 as my engine is pinging a little due to it not burning off the excess fuel????

thats what it says about in the arosa manual....not just that 98 is better but that ONLY 98 should be used to prevent pinging noises. It also says something about if in an emergency using lower RON to use the car only at low revs until you can fill up with 98 again.

i definately notice the difference in performance especially now cos im runnin a tank of optimax + nitrox ocatane booster.

QUOTE(Wobbs)
Been running my Gti on 95 since I purchased. Took it to the garage the other day for some warranty work and that they said I need to use 98 as my engine is pinging a little due to it not burning off the excess fuel????

The GTi can take either - says so in the manual and on the filler cap.

Is this the same dealership that told you that BMCs make your car blow up?

QUOTE(Wobbs)

I found mine pinked a bit if I put my foot down in 6th at low revs, when running 95. Switched to 98 and it stopped.

If the manual says you can use 95 though, they can't refuse to honour the warranty if you don't use 98.

Yeah, they seem to be ok. Every time I take the car in they do what I ask them to look at no matter how many times I ask. I had a problem with 5th gear and they could not find a problem but they still stripped it, gave it a bit of TLC and now it seems fine. Very professional, think they have a few snobby clients!

QUOTE(snoopstah)
They told that to me, not Wobbs.

We might use the same dealership though - Testwood, in Shirley.

Sorry, that's what I meant - I know you both come from the same area biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />