Exhaust Emmissions Light

Northern Ireland Arosa

Hi I drive a 2003 Seat Arosa 1.0s and I am currently having a bit of a problem with the exhaust emmisions light. Recently the light has started coming on and staying on for extended periods of time before going off again. The car drives fine and there are no noticible effects on the car when the light comes on. I have however noted that the light tends to come on when the car is:

1. Idling or close to Idle (I can sit on the motorway or on an A road at 60mph and the light won't come on)

2. When the car is idling there is a gentle thump from the engine and the rev counter moves very slightly (Barely noticible)

3. When the light does come on i am normally sitting in traffic and once it comes on it stays on for maybe a week before going out

I have changed the spark plugs, air filter and leads, but this has made very little difference. The car also drinks quite a lot of petrol and on normal driving both in and out of town struggles to get 36-38 miles per gallon. It is annoying because otherwise the car is going great. Any suggestions as to what mite be causing the problem or any suggestions on how to fix it?

Many Thanks :(

Clean the throttle body; blast some carb cleaner down while the motor is doing about 3000rpm, should do the trick. Try not to run your car with low fuel as this puts crap in the fuel system. My 1.0l Lupo used to need this every 6 months or so. Nowt to worry about.

Edited by Jonny

Not my area of expertise, but it could be a faulty lambda sensor / probe. If you look in the engine bay at where the exhaust starts, there should be a probe which goes into the exhaust. The sensor attempts to measure the quality of the exhaust emissions and sends back signals to the engine to alter the air/petrol intake accordingly. If they're faulty they could cost lots in petrol as the engine might be running rich/too thin. I don't know much about them, but apparently you can clean the end of the probe to get the carbon off it - that might help it work better? They aren't cheap to replace though - possibly £100? (I might be wrong).

Try typing 'lambda sensor' in the Forum Search - other discussions might help.

Anyone else know?