Advice on rolling rear arches on a GTi

vworks41

Need some advice on the best way of gaining abit more room on my rear arches.

I thought about carefully taking an angle grinder to them and just taking acouple of mm from the top bit and then repaint and seal them...but not so sure now.

I've also heard that you cant roll them properly ether...is that because of the spot welds? or because the lips dont run all the way round??

I'm only after about 3or4mm more clearance so what do you guys think best? any advice would be great :)

If you cant get hold of a proper roller there is a semi bodge way of doing it, remember to take your time over this & you'll be ok.....

1. Put a few layers of tape on the return lips (especially the edges).

2. Gently heat up the lips until they are quite hot to the touch.

3. Release your handbrake.

4. Now take a large screwdriver with plastic handle & wedge backwards in the gap between the tyre & the arch.

5. Apply light pressure on the shaft of the screwdriver that is sticking out so that the handle is then pushing against the return lip.

6. Slowly roll the car backwards & forwards so that you can run the handle around as much of the arch as possible.

7. Repeat until the desired effect is achieved.

Remember to keep reheating the lips (to keep the paint flexible) & only apply light-ish pressure to move the lips back a small amount at a time.

;)

You'll only get so far without a proper roller tbh, having said that its not the welds that buckles the arch its people trying to apply too much pressure to finish the job quicker. The rear arch wont be easy as its double skinned but if you take your time you should hopefully be able to gain enough clearance.