Alternative gearbox for the 1.4 TDI... anyone tried this?

pietch

The 1.4 TDI users an 02R box which has an 02J bell housing on some eversions such as the EWR so an 02M 6 speed may bolt up.

Apparently the Golf GT TDI (with the AJM engine) gearbox (code DRW) should fit the Lupo and Arosa TDI's as the bell housing (O2J) is the same!

However as part of the mods the following parts would also be required, the only problem/ question is the drive shafts and extra 15/20 kg of weight! I am also unsure of gear ratios?

Parts needed:?

DRW O2M box

driveshafts

flywheel and clutch

starter motor

top gearbox bracket

gearbox mount

selector unit and cables

various stretch bolts

the flange size on the 6 speeds is larger than the 5 speeds hence the need for shafts, you may be able to change your inner cvs on your shafts. This I dont know.

Has anyone done this or can anyone advise help?

Hi Pietch,

An interesting couple of posts, thanks.

I appreciate the advantages of a 6 speed box but i think with the extra torque and a smooth, progressive remap 5 speeds is enough. Also, very little weight to pull.

I think the g60 gearbox is similar as have looked at jabba/ peloquin lsd.

Was it teflon tom that had the 142bhp 1.4 tdi as i think he blew it up

In terms of the costs of the mods for extra 30bhp - Iam looing for 40-60 bhp but am going to be guided by allards as am especially concerned about crankshaft flex.

pd130 injectors - 150 2nd hand

hybrid turbo - standard turbo is gt15 ( not gt12?) with 17/44 spec - 400

larger intercooler - 700

fitting - 300- 400

custom remap - 450

clutch upgrade - 300

lower comp piston and conrods - not sure as runs 19"1 same as pd150

ibiza cupra tdi air intake 40 (maybe bmc cda)

Plus money on brakes, suspension, atb and roll cage -eventually.

Plus point is a 60k mile 2001/2 arosa tdi is around 2500- 3000

The idea is similiar to talon sports metro 1600 vvi track day car with mot, see link here

So if they can modify a rover metro for grueling track day thrashing for a modest cost - anything is possible!

Cheers

The 1.4 TDI users an 02R box which has an 02J bell housing on some eversions such as the EWR so an 02M 6 speed may bolt up.

Apparently the Golf GT TDI (with the AJM engine) gearbox (code DRW) should fit the Lupo and Arosa TDI's as the bell housing (O2J) is the same!

However as part of the mods the following parts would also be required, the only problem/ question is the drive shafts and extra 15/20 kg of weight! I am also unsure of gear ratios?

Parts needed:?

DRW O2M box

driveshafts

flywheel and clutch

starter motor

top gearbox bracket

gearbox mount

selector unit and cables

various stretch bolts

the flange size on the 6 speeds is larger than the 5 speeds hence the need for shafts, you may be able to change your inner cvs on your shafts. This I dont know.

Has anyone done this or can anyone advise help?

• 6 years later...