brake light in spoiler

euro'd lupo

hi everyone just bought a lupo gti, but the brake light in the spoiler isnt working from reading on here this seems to be a common problem is it the unit itself or a wiring issue? and if it was the unit how much roughly you wthink it will cost?

thanks -sarah-

mine has recently gone and it was a bitch to fix!!

it will be the both the unit itself as well as the wiring. they corrode easily as they are not protected. if you remove the lot and have a look you will soon see if the inside of the plug on the back of the light has corroded.

i bought a new light a piece of wire with the relevant box connector and thought it would be this simple.

unfortunately however volkswagen seemed to have discontinued the light i needed with there being a very slight difference between the light case itself.

i had to actually file an area out of the spoiler to get the new light to fit.

good luck anyway! what year is your gti?? i think the new light was from 02 onwards.

ok ill have a look leddy my gti is a 51 plate

you could have the same problem as me then unfirtunately.

vw said id need a new spoiler. which was 140 quid in primer only. so i just git out the set of files and some silicone and went at it.

you will see what i mean if you buy a new light from vwas soon as you compare the 2. its not really hard to do do just time consuming and costly if goes wrong.

as soon as you get it all off you will see how poor the units are at preventing water getting in and why they go. not much for vw quality on this bit im afraid.

let us know if you need any help anyway

fitted the brake light this afternoon took me awhile to figure out how to get it out then looked at the how to section and realised i had to get the spoiler off the rest was quite simple then, the connector was really corroded had to fit a new 1 and some wire whie joining it further down. working ok now though thanks for all your help!