Help needed - Battery "isolation" switch?

Filx

Hi all, Just a quick query and I hope I can explain this accurately.

We've bascailly got most of the Lupo (04 GTI) back together now - so anyway when the airbags deploy there is also a "switch" thing that pops off to isolate the battery. Anyway when my guy installed the reflashed airbag module the airbag light is still on and it seems to be linked to this "switch".

I had originally thought it would just be something you reset manually and all is well - but oh no, it appears not. You can buy a new part but it's pretty expensive and I'm trying to get over these last few hurdles in a cost effective manner.

So my questions are - is this item a generic part from any Lupo (or any other VWs) or specific to a GTI? Is there any way we can "trick" the airbag module with a resistor or something? Any other thoughts or suggestions before I bite the bullet and buy a new one?

Many thanks

Phil - NZ

yea i had the same problem when i had my gti done, i had to take it to the agents to get it reconnected, i remember them saying it was something to do with safety. iirc it isolates the engine bay's electrics ? or summing to that effect

reflashed airbag module ? didnt know you get them reflashed, i got a new one

if the airbag goes off, you have to change the airbag control module no matter what, they are only usable once, and are programmed to the car. as far as i can remember, they retail around £270 from vw new, and will need a dealer to program it.

Thanks guys - we ended up using a resistor for the "switch" (2ohm I think) and airbag light is now off. This is just a temporary solution to get me through the compliance and certification and I will replace the unit after that. Apparently it is the same as used on an Audi A8 so I will look for a second hand item here as they are relatively common.

In regards to the airbag module my guy sent it to Germany and they returned it about 3 weeks later with all codes removed and good as new. I think the whole thing including shipping was around NZ$100. I figure he just reflashed it but it might not be the correct terminology?

So I just have a headlight ignitor switch thing to track down and I think *fingers crossed* we're basically in business :-)

Thanks Blackrat - took a punt on an Audi ignitor from Ebay USA. Looks like the right part and at US$90 was a fair chunk cheaper than a new one (NZ$600 at our local importers "special price"! Ouch). Will find out if it works when it arrives next week.

The car is all going and is painted so is 98% there! I am super excited now! Just got this light thing to sort out and the final hurdle will be the compliance and registration.

Managed to save a few dollars along the way also which will hopefully offset some of the unforseen and costly challenges. Used a Mk3 Golf radiator core (from 1.8 Cli I think) with the Lupo end tanks instead of buying a new radiator. Seems to be working OK so far. Got a new windscreen from Singapore for $200. Managed to get the lower bumper plastic welded and repaired rather than replaced, etc.

aah thats not too bad for the ignitor, im sure it will work if it fits the rear of the bulb

got any pics of the build so far ?

I'm hoping it will fit!

My friend that has done the bulk of the work has a few pics but there isn't actually much to see as it is really only bolting on a bunch of stock parts and a bit of panel and paint work. Pretty boring stuff. I'm going to post some pics when it is fully done (in about two weeks hopefully) but in the mean time I DROVE IT TODAY for the first time! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

It's not road legal yet so I was a bit cautious but it seems to go well and certainly handles very nicely! Nice tight feel, no rattles and no obvious issues. Fact is - I love it - it's fantastic and every bit as good as I thought it would be. wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

I think it is going to be very hard to hand the keys over to my girlfriend in a few weeks!

I think it is going to be very hard to hand the keys over to my girlfriend in a few weeks!

Nooo dont do it wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Kewl little cars eh, cant help but grin when i get in mine