Stinky oil

I dipped the oil on the Lupo this weekend, it had used some again. The oil smells burnt. So I topped up and left it while it settled. The level is OK but there is a smell of oil outside when the engine is running.

There isn't any blue smoke, mayonaise in the filler or leaks, so whats going on?

time for an oil change methinks???

if you can smell oil your breather is probably blocked

It was serviced in November, but when I'd looked at the air filter prior to that the breather pipe was clogged with slime. I didn't do anything about it then. How do I go about unblocking it?

the car will have a plastic block on the rear of the engine.

jack the car up and support it. get underneath and look up the back of the engine, above the drivers side driveshaft the breather pipe will be visible coming down into a block ,the block is held in place with allen bolts remove the block and flush it with degreaser.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had a go this weekend instead. Got two bottom allen bolts out, but just can't get my hand round from above or below to see if there are any at the top. So I sacked it.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, I'm hoping to be back on with this job at the weekend, if it's not too cold (!). I've been reading up on the block breather thing and it is very common for the thing to get blocked up and cause problems with lubrication. Has anyone removed the breather from the engine block without resorting to removing loads of other stuff first? Any VW idiot guides about at all?