Door Lock Up The Creek

Ok i'll admit it, i've messed up, but i don't know how.

The drivers lock on my door was sticking so i followed the instructions in the link below:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15868

It all went fine, or so i thought....

But when i went to lock my door i couldn't return it to 'normal' position to get the key out, after a little bit of jiggling i thought i had it, so i tried to open the door again however instead of the key stopping at the 3 o'clock point i can just keep turning it 360 degrees (clockwise). So now my door is locked but i can't unlock it. If I try to turn the key anticlockwise it stops in the proper position. If i try to open the door from the inside it wont do it. If i try to unlock the door (via central locking) from the passenger it makes an attempt (it seems) but fails.

Please can anyone help me solve this???

Is it just that i've messed up a linkage or something?

I really don't want to take it to the garage as the stealers took £511 off me last week :'(

Cheers

Sounds a simple fix if it goes right, i'm having simular probs, see my post in the Volkswagan Lupo forum which i think i should of posted here blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> I can hear them now, bloody newbies biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by millerman

Ok, I have an update - well more info. I have attempted to attach a picture to show what I think is wrong, but I don't know. Any advice comment would be useful.

FeckedDoor.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Circled in red is a hooky bit which I think should hook onto the bit circled in green. Note on this drawing the door handle is being pulled from the outside, normally these 2 things would sit close to each other.

I want to know if I connect these, when i pull the handle will the door open, as at present it doesn't.

Apologies for the dodgy photo, it was taken on my phone looking into a mirror while a badger was chewing my foot...

no thats fine where it is.

the problem you have described would lead me to think you have snapped the extension bar from the back of the barrel to the mech,

can you open the door??? if so i can lead you through the process.

if not i can also lead you through the process smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

My door refused to open from the inside or from the outside just before E38... couldn't get it to open from within the door either (had the door card off & still no joy).

Ended up giving the car to VW to sort - they had to basically destroy the mechanism from inside the door to release it so it would open & then replace it.

Cost me £150 to get fixed - would've been more if I'd had to pay full price... wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

thats what mine done and now i know how to rectify without smashing the mech smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

But when i went to lock my door i couldn't return it to 'normal' position to get the key out, after a little bit of jiggling i thought i had it, so i tried to open the door again however instead of the key stopping at the 3 o'clock point i can just keep turning it 360 degrees (clockwise). So now my door is locked but i can't unlock it. If I try to turn the key anticlockwise it stops in the proper position. If i try to open the door from the inside it wont do it. If i try to unlock the door (via central locking) from the passenger it makes an attempt (it seems) but fails.

sounds like the lock barrel has split at the base to me...... the base of the barrel is only hend on by two little lugs and whenthey break off the key will just turn rount 360 in the lock....

a new lock barrel is about £46 iirc and last time i bought one i had to wait six weeks for it becuase of the key matching thing. if you do change the lock barrel dont undo the scre that hold it in completely, only undo it enough to release the barrel.

Edited by Teflon

can you open the door??? if so i can lead you through the process.

if not i can also lead you through the process

Nope i can't open the door from inside or outside, currently climbing across from the passanger side wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

I have it booked in to the garage for friday, but if i can do a fix sooner it would be better - can you lead me through what i should do (if there is anything i can do)