Perforamance Diffrence's

SiiMo

Have you searched the forum? There must have been about a squillion billion similar threads. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

In summary, not a lot, but the 5 is quicker to 60 and the 6 is quicker in gear.

I will admit i didnt sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Thanks for the reply tho smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

It's also worth adding that what the 6-speed gains in gear the 5-speed makes up on gear change. It's completely down to the driver at the end of the day. Ask Dale tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Edited by Diamondblack

That's a bit debatable. If you were going from 0-110mph, for example, you'd use gears 1-5 in either a 5 speed or a 6 speed car (I think, been a while since I owned the GTI so I forget the exact gear speeds). That's 4 gear changes for both cars, which means that the 6-speeder would be noticeably ahead.

There's not that much in them at all though - my 6-speed GTI beat Tim's 5-speed GTI up Santa Pod about 4 times in a row, even though mine had AC and his didn't (even when I left the AC on biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />). We swapped cars and got the same result, so my 6-speeder was definitely faster than his 5-speeder. But that was probably because it was owned by Tim wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I disagree, the 5 speed will hit 110 in 4th gear, the 6 speed will need 5th, so unless the 6 speed is up on power i can't see it being ahead. Also at the pod my 5-speed with leather, air-con and side airbags still managed 16.0 and the wind wasn't in favour. However i will completely agree with you that there's really nothing in it, out on the road they are evenly matched and it's completely down to the driver.

OK, 115mph. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Put it this way, there are certain speeds at which both cars will need to be in the same gear, so from 0 to those speeds the 6-speeder *should* be ahead.

OK, 115mph. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Put it this way, there are certain speeds at which both cars will need to be in the same gear, so from 0 to those speeds the 6-speeder *should* be ahead.

Are you going to E38? I have to meet you, you have an answer for everything laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I will agree with you on that point, but for the sake of this thread and all others like it we should agree that it's all down to the driver and conditions.

Nah, I don't want to get my plastic car keyed wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

VW must have thought the 6-speed was better otherwise they wouldn't have spent the money reworking the production line to fit it wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

*runs*

Round town, there is a difference. Imagine if your pulling up to a roundabout in 2nd gear in each car, you both notice the way is clear and both bury the throttle. The 6 will respond quicker and pull away quicker as it's reving higher and is closer to the power band because of it's gear ratio. For situations like those, the 6 is quicker. Take them to a track and the difference would close up significantly, but i will say from having driven both that the 6 gives a greater sense of speed and acceleration than the 5 and VW were right to make the change, but that shouldn't be a reason to put someone off a 5.

I agree.

To be honest, I rarely used 5th gear when I had the 6 speed anyway. I'd end up accelerating up to motorway speeds in 4th gear, and then just going straight to 6th. And if I wanted to get a burst of speed on, back down to 4th.

I'd definitely get a 5-speeder if everything else about it was to the spec I wanted.

with leather, air-con and side airbags still managed 16.0

show off

*not jealous not jealous...* tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

no i do agree its alot about the driver too, the one run we thought you had lost against dale and youd swapped cars! hehe

And if all things were equal on two cars, we'd have a six over a five (I say this as a five owner).

But, they're both great cars.

Feel the Lupo love everyone. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />