throttle bodies

jiminy

is there no kit available for the gti or sport,

ive seen a couple on here but they have had to put in serious time or money

it would be great if webcom did a kit as they usually charge 2k or have i missed something obvious

is there no kit available for the gti or sport,

ive seen a couple on here but they have had to put in serious time or money

it would be great if webcom did a kit as they usually charge 2k or have i missed something obvious

you can get a dcoe type manifold from sorg motorsport in germany

Throttle bodies are not car or engine specific. It is the inlet manifold that is engine specific.

You can get throttle bodies for £600 and then pay about £500 for a custom manifold (much less if you dont want a really good one).

Other expenses are things like the ECU (£1000) headwork and all the wiring labour.

Throttle bodies are not car or engine specific. It is the inlet manifold that is engine specific.

You can get throttle bodies for £600 and then pay about £500 for a custom manifold (much less if you dont want a really good one).

Other expenses are things like the ECU (£1000) headwork and all the wiring labour.

i agree with LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI on this, it can be very costly and also it takes a lot of dyno/mapping time to get it exactly right. but it is worth it and they sound awesome.

My throttle bodies were a very small part of the total bill. Big bill raisers were (inlet manifold that was designed and manufactured specially for my car) £500 and Motec ECU (£1000). Carbon trumpets were £120 and a fully rose jointed throttle linkage £80 are things you can live without to reduce costs. Also it was 3 days on the rollers as no existing base/starter maps existed before my car was done.

As for the sounds, a few people look in astonishment when you pass them at wide open throttle, think M3 CSL but without the zingy exhaust fizz.

Your fancy linkages were cheaper than my Off the shelf ones!

I got a discount but they still cost over £100!

I shouldn't but laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Better still mate. I paid a further £80 to have all the drive-by-wire stuff removed and the accelerator converted to cable and connected up to my linkage under the bonnet.

I think my £120 carbon trumpets made him some money back though...and those spacer tunnels to optimise the intake tract length (£80 = ouch).

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

I think my £120 carbon trumpets made him some money back though...and those spacer tunnels to optimise the intake tract length (£80 = ouch).

You should have had that spacer plate made up when Cliffo offered to make two! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Annoyed even further about the throttle cable though laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

My spacers were to optimise inlet length mate. The carbon trumpets were fixed length so I could not use trumpet length variation so I used some spacer blocks. They also allowed the air filter backplate to clear the fuel rail and pressure regulator nicely too.

Inlet manifold is as short as possible to get the injectors (mounted in throttle bodies) as close the valves as possible...not as close as with your set up though as you have a great injector position.

used an emerald m3dk ecu for mine

What else needed doing with the electrics?

Any extra sensors?

Is it completly stand alone, or piggy back?

Make a wiring diagram? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

What else needed doing with the electrics?

Any extra sensors?

Is it completly stand alone, or piggy back?

Make a wiring diagram? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

i used the magnetic crank sensor for the main trigger which as you now is the 60-2 bosch pattern set the timing reference to 85degrees btdc. coolant sensor, coilpack, etc

the only extra sensor i needed was a throttle pot to go onto the jenvey throttle bodies, but i spliced this into the oe loom anyway using the existing throttle body connections from the lupo loom. the only thing i can recall which i got totallt wrong was i mixed up the wires on the coilpack so the ignition timing was 360degrees out of phase. and yes it is completely stand alone and can be programmed via an rs232 port, i did leave the oe magetti 4av unit in place though, i only disconnected the wires i needed to (sensors, rpm signal, live feed, switched feed) but i left the fuel pump relay control on the 4av unit so that the transponder immo unit still worked with the keys.

didn't use the knock sensor

i'm sure there's somthing i've forgotten!!!!

oh yes that's it, mine was a cast iron block 1.6-16v from a mk4 golf which i built up with custom pistons and rods with schrick cams, but it's basically the same thing as the alloy block 1.4, same head etc

Edited by Teflon

where did you get them from i need some for mine

The guy who did my engine. Check out www.mberaceengines.co.uk