colour coding the bumpers

xxvbv

just been to a bodyshop nearby, was told the texture of the front and rear bumper on the arosa is made of a different texture which when painted looks much different to the rest of the body..

was quoted £120 for both bumpers to be done as they are (or cud buy 2 already smoothed bumpers)

or £220 for both front and back to be primed smoothed etc and done properly to match the rest of bodywork..

is the 220 a good price for this to be done (seat arosa sport)

Do you mean the lower parts of the bumper? If so the rear is ok as the primer will sort that out, its just the front that has a textured effect to it that will show up unless its sanded down. To be honest with yellow cars I would always get the whole part sprayed at once anyway as colour matching can be a real pig, & you dont want bumpers that look different shades mid way through.

Not sure about the prices though, got quoted £300 to spray the lower sections on my bumpers & repair & respray the skirts too.

Edited by Max69vk

I paid £350 to have front and rear splitters sprayed, spoiler sprayed and fitted and the pasenger side of the car repaired and resprayed....

My bodyshop didnt have a problem with smoothing the texture off the front and rear. And are perfectly smooth now painted.

Lee.

Edited by sleeky tdi

Do the hard work yourself & save some money, even if you cant spray them you can prep them.

Go to Halfords & by some Scotch(rite) pads, they only cost a fiver for a pack, they look just like large scouring pads you use for washing up. Make sure you get the softer ones though (usually grey) as anything harsher can scratch a little too deep on plastic. With the pads rub down the plastic to 'key' them up, basically just go all over them & take the shine off all over. I find it easier to do them dry first as you can see easier when you have rubbed & where you haven't, its always then worth going over them again with a bit of soapy water to get rid of any muck or oily deposits that may be left.

Unfortunately to get rid of the front texture, you will have to rub down the plastic & use a 'high build' primer & then rub it down again to get a smooth finish. TBH I dont think the texture will really stand out anyway as long as the colour is ok. After all its not like you really noticed it before wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by Max69vk

for the price it seems good enough to me,

will they be taking the bumpers off to paint them, taking them off will end up in being a better job.

If i was you mate if your not good with body work leave it to the people who know best, trying to do it yourself sometimes makes the jobs worse,

Firstly if you do KEY it with the grey scotch brite for plastic that your going to fill with filler primer you need as much key as possible at the very least use red scotch and even 240 GRIT sand paper.

Then you have to think about plastic primers as the primer wont like the plastics as it is.

Using the halfords primer is ok but at the end of the day it aint thick enough to fill the texture and its cellulose based paint so might react badly to the body shops paint.

Also have you thought about cleaning the plastics to get all the grease off it?

theres many things you need to do before you paint, and if you dont know wot your doing leave it the the big boys.

Just trying to help smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I did'nt have to worry about the rear, but the front I have done. You will need at least a 500 grade wet/dry paper and I'm a real fussy git so I always finish my work with at least a 1200 or 1500 grade paper. It took some doing but the end result is worth the effort.

Mattblackintakessmall.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

I did'nt have to worry about the rear, but the front I have done. You will need at least a 500 grade wet/dry paper and I'm a real fussy git so I always finish my work with at least a 1200 or 1500 grade paper. It took some doing but the end result is worth the effort.

Mattblackintakessmall.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" /> stunning front end! and side-ish shots?