Another light came on my dash board

it happened twice in this week, both EPC and this CHECK lights on suddenly on my dash board, but when I restarted the car, EPC off, but CHECK remained, and it will gone some time later.

I've been paid for 17 quid to turn the EPC light off once with no problem found.

please help, what does it mean.

52653460_2e8554eb2d_o.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

EPC Light means ther cauld be a brake fault according to my old workshop mananger at VWR. Maby ABS but im sure the ABS warning light wauld come on. I have a fault code reader but you live to far away sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Get i checked out a.s.a.p mate.

When my engine check light came on last tim i had to fit a lambda sensor to it which isnt cheap sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Probably not a good idea to just ignore it, plus it'll probably just come back.  Did they not tell you what the fault was when they turned the light off?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they said no problem then trun it off.

Let me tell you what, the CHECK light off again......really dont know what's happening. It might come on again in next couple days....

EPC Light means ther cauld be a brake fault according to my old workshop mananger at VWR. Maby ABS but im sure the ABS warning light wauld come on. I have a fault code reader but you live to far away sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Get i checked out a.s.a.p mate.

When my engine check light came on last tim i had to fit a lambda sensor to it which isnt cheap sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

was that light means engine check light?, omg..... it on with the EPC, but the EPC will gonna off when I restarted the car...and only the CHECK remained there..

but it off again now... what should I do???

they said no problem then trun it off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They were wrong.

This is a common excuse used by mechanics who don't understand how to diagnose the problem. If they don't understand what the fault code refers to, they assume the ECU has just made it up and clear it, apparently believing that because the light's now off they're geniuses.

However, 99% of the time all that happens is that whatever the problem was re-occurs (because they haven't actually fixed anything) and the light comes back on again an hour, a day, a week or a month later.

The fact that you're getting both the check engine light and the EPC light on means it should be relatively easy for a competant mechanic to discover what's wrong and fix it. Don't worry that the lights have gone off - the fault code is still stored, and in all likelihood the lights will come back on when the fault re-occurs.

Next time you take it to be fixed, do not just accept it if they say they've cleared the fault codes - this will not fix the problem! Either they should fix it, or they should provide you with a printout of what fault codes were present on the ECU, and not charge you if they haven't fixed it.

Snoopstah is dead right. Make sure they look into the problem. With the VAG 1552 machine it tells the tech exactly what is wrong with the vehicle instead of giving you a load of random numbers. The fault will come back if it hasnt been fixed. A VW ECU pick up a fault and bring on the light on the dash. The ECU will then check the fault every 60 miles, if the fault isnt there anymore it will put the light out. If it is it will stay on.

Edited by luke22mk

woooow, thanks for all the professional replys, thanks a lot mate, I have to get it done ASAP....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem mate.

Let us know what they find wrong with it biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

This light came on randomly one sunday afternoon last year in my Lupo. The car started driving like it was on 3 cylinders, booked it in to VW straight away but it then started driving normally again although the light stayed on. Took it to VW anyway, they ran the code, couldn't say what it was and the problem never recurred. It came on briefly a couple of weeks ago when i redlined the car but went out 5 mins later....who knows what it is.