Fitting a cup holder & moving switchgear

Hi,

I've got a 99 SDI and I want to fit a cup holder somewhere to reduce the uncomfortable risk of driving with a cup of coffee inbetween my knees. On the dash, I've got a VW radio & VW cd player taking up the 2 DIN slots, then the switchgear suspended below the radio (the hazard light and rear heater switches).

I'm sure I've seen other Lupos (2001 ish) that have their switches fitted into the dash just above the ashtray, just below the heater controls (where I've got a blank space for fuel cards at the mo).

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a new set of switches that will fit into this gap under the air vent controls, above the ashtray, and how difficult it would be to sort out the wiring to do this?

If I can move the switches from under the radio to under the air vent controls then I can get a cup holder unit which hangs under the radio, instead of the switches - apparently this is an easily obtainable VW part.

Anybody know anything about this, or where I could fit a cup holder somewhere else? It's only a matter of time before I accidently burn my nads with hot espresso if not!!

Cheers,

Brian

I had a 99 Lupo 1.4E, and the switches were as you described where the cupholders normally are. You must have one of the first in the country as I did. And I suspect that your drivers side mirror is the same size as your passengers?

I'd prefer the switches near the radio myself, as the cupholder position in my current Lupo means that drink can (and has) gone in the stereo.

I'd say the only thing holding you back is whether you can do the necessary electrics, as bolting the switch housing under the heater controls and bolting up the cupholder will be a doddle.

I'd also presume that the wiring looms are different. I reckon you'd need the schematics for the electrical system to do it. Good luck mate. Let us know how you get on.

• 3 weeks later...

also got coke on my stereo. get the other cup holders. nando's chicken burgers blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> lovely but their coke cups dont seal properly! mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />