PAS fault.

Hey guys and gals,

Just got my Lupo back again after loaning it out for the past 12 months (long story blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> ) and the car has developed a rather strange steering fault.

Bearing in mind the cars lowered -60mm so the tie rods on the steering rack do run at pretty extreme angles (im sure I dont need to tell most of you guys that) and i've just changed from 15" alloys over to 14" sport wheels (although it still had the same fault on the 15's).

Anyway, its hard to describe but the steerings gone heavy and a bit jittery (ie it jumps about in your hand) and worst of all when you turn a corner the wheel doesnt correct itself, so you actually have to steer the car straight again its doesnt do it auto matically.

I've had the cambers/alignments checked and set, changed the fluids cause they where a little low and looking rather merky, belts, pump pipework etc all appear ok. Next up I will probably change the rack itself but thought I would ask see if anyone else has had this or a similar problems??

Cheers guys, not much of a welcome back note from me biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> but anyway i'm a Lupo owner again so you'l be seeing alot more of me on here. Next up is a bit of an ICE install and a change of interior cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Edited by 89Rallye

Good to have you back mark!

Sound's to me like a stiff ball joint (or knackered one) or the rack u/j!

would check these first then disconnect both Track Rod End's and have a feel of the rack before u take it off!

back in my younger and more innocent days, a mate of mine had a nova sr that he was running a set of tsw blades on, and seeing as tsw didn't make blades's with a vauxhall offset, he had them as a et40, telling me that sometimes the steering didn't self-centre. have you checked the offset of the wheels you're running is correct for your car?

Edited by lupogtiboy

Cheers guys,

You all probably dont remember but my car was an accident damaged lupo which I repaired (CLICKY, its changed a bit since them photos biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ) , when repaired it had a new n/s wishpan, trackrod and tie rod on one side so I know all thats ok (thish was bent in the accident which is why I am thinking there may be damage in the rack too) it has been ok for about 2 years and suddenly devoloped this fault. I did feel alot better when I changed the fluid as it wasnt twictching as much as it was but still felt heavy. I have had had both front wheels off the floor and checked for play etc but to cant see anything wrong there, not tried it with the rack disconnected from the hubs though. Thats something for the weekend

now I guess laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> tax is due up at the end of the month and I will be putting a sorn on it so which gives me a month to sort everything out. shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" /> looking at custom sub enclosures in the rear panels and speaker builds in both the front doors and rear quarter panel trims surprise.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":surprise:" border="0" alt="surprise.gif" /> just struggling to find space for an amp as I want to keep the boot completely enmpty and free apart from the CD changer - anyway watch this space on all that.

back in my younger and more innocent days, a mate of mine had a nova sr that he was running a set of tsw blades on, and seeing as tsw didn't make blades's with a vauxhall offset, he had them as a et40, telling me that sometimes the steering didn't self-centre.  have you checked the offset of the wheels you're running is correct for your car?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The wheels are ok as I have swapped them with my dads Lupo sport and thats runs perfect with them on and of course my car now has VW wheels back on it so I know offsets etc are fine.

Well quick update on this,

For those that didnt know there is actually a filter in the pas reservoir for the the return pipe coming back up from the rack.

Just stripped all the reservoir out and found the filter dirty with gunge but not completely blocked, so thinking I was onto a winner cleaned everything out drained the rest of the fluid out and replaced with fresh fluid.

Back on the road and it feels so much lighter the steering but it still has the same fault where it wont correct itself straight when turning a corner.

Oh well back to the drawing board, I still think now that it can only be in the rack itself confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Edited by 89Rallye

Well since I was draining all fluids I removed it completely from the car, cleaned it all out and used a pair of long nosed pliers to remove the filter which was surprisingly dirty although I wouldnt say it was blocked so probably hasnt been causing any trouble.