Definatly got a small oil leak somewhere

Righty oh people, give me some advise.

Back in the beginning of the year i got a side garage to do a service on my car thinking it would keep the warrenty, but wen they did it they told me i has a small oil leak coming from around the gearbox area, he said it looked like it was traveling down the side of the engine.

I then found out that my warrenty was void so i got VW to do the service again and they never found out so warrenty was ok. But they never brought up the oil leak, maybe i was being parenoid i thought....

Was out checking my oil tonight and for the first time ive noticed that the oil had dropped about 1/4 of a stick. Strange i thought, so i topped it up, while doing this the engine pan/guard looked all oily so i touched it and it was definatly oil on it.

So i decided to investigate..... took all the guard off and it was really really oily, and so was the bottom of my gearbox, the engine was clean no oil there just on the gearbox.

I havent had any oil patches from my car on the drive but then again i wouldnt see them as the engine guard would catch it all.

Now what does this sound like to you? just dirty engine or a oil leak.

What do i think i should do?

Considering ive got coilovers and a few scrapes on my engine guard but nothing major to do any damage to the engine for VW to moan.

Sorry its so long but i think ive got it all in,

any help would be much appreciated

yep you're right, sorry was being dumb!! you'll know if its gear box oil, smell it, it smells like cats piss, fairly acrid, nothing like engine oil.

know from when i had the gear box seal done on my cinquecento last year, i seem to break gear box seals!!!

as i said the engine bottom is clean its only the bottom of the gear box that is oily. its definatly engine oil.

the oil cap is clean as a wistle. i will have another look around.

wheres the best places to look?

as i said the engine bottom is clean its only the bottom of the gear box that is oily. its definatly engine oil.

the oil cap is clean as a wistle. i will have another look around.

wheres the best places to look?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try to trace it back from where it's ended up, can sometimes come from somewhere totally random. I've had more than a few oil leaks on my golfs over the years!! rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

it'snormally real clean round the area it's coming from (oil washes the dust and mud away) so just trace it back mate! it ant hard!!