Noise coming from Alternator Belt

RhysHobson

Went out today in the car and went to reverse park, put steering wheel into full lock and then a grinding/whining noise started happening. There has been a spinning noise from the belt area there for awhile now but never seemed this bad (since a garage fitted the a new alternator a few years back).

Around 5 months ago the Alternator grinding/whining noise used to only happen on a cold start when turning (anywhere near full lock) and disappears once the car warmed up but seems constant since today. After the incident today I topped up the power steering as I noticed it was quite low, still continued to make the same noise.

The noise also seems to dissipate when driving normally, only when idling or low revs does the noise sound worse

VW Lupo

1L

If anyone could advise please?
I was wondering if it was a bearing of some sort with the alternator itself or pulleys. I’ve attached some recording’s 

Edited by RhysHobson

Can't seem to watch the videos.

If the power steering fluid is low where has it gone?

I would check the auxiliary belt make sure there is enough tension on it, should tell if it's slipping. Whip off the auxiliary belt and spin the bearings see what is making the noise (alternator, tensioner, power steering pump).

If none of the above, start car up with belt still off and see if it's a camblet tensioner/bearing.

From what you've put it sounds to me as though the power steering pump has ran dry and knackered. Check for leaks around it.

Thank you for the fast reply!

Not noticed any fluid on the floor or around the engine bay recently from an leaks or anything. (I did spill abit when topping it up, you may see this in the video) 

I’ll give taking the belt off a go and see if I can notice anything! I’ve posted the vids to YouTube and posted them below.

Thanks again for the reply