FSI boot lid on a GTI

szrdave

Due to the standard GTI troubles (3rd brake light broken, paint bubbling on spoiler, boot lid rusty around the spoiler mounting holes and water ingress into boot through spoiler mounting) I have been looking for a standard Lupo boot lid in moon silver (LR7X) for about the last two years, with a plan to fit the GTI spoiler and find a solution to the brake light issue.

As nothing has turned up thats both 1 - close by, and 2 - reasonably priced, I took a chance on an FSI magnesium/aluminium boot lid with spoiler I found in Germany. The guy didn't know what the colour code was, and the pictures weren't particularly good, but he was prepared to post it so I took a chance:

IMG_20230624_183625

It's deep section with a shallow spoiler, and doesn't look as good as the GTI one, but with an internal brake light there should be no problems in future and it felt significantly lighter when installing it.

I'm not sure if it's the wrong silver, in some lights the colour match looks fine, in others it looks off. Either way I'm happy I finally have a useable solution for the moment, I still have the GTI parts so may revert back at some point in the future if I can get them repainted and source a 3rd brake light.

Went for a spin (first this year as it's been too hot without the AC working, will start another thread!) and the car didn't seem any more tail happy than normal. Stopped for a quick photo:

IMG_20230624_210151

*Disclaimer - car looks much better/cleaner in photos!

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 8:49 AM, tchouki85 said:

hello, your little GTI is beautiful, indeed a pity for the personal spoiler, I had found mine in Germany too, except that I had to restore it completely, you can go and see in my post

Thanks, it definitely looks better from a few metres away, perfect for photos 😅

I saw your build thread, you've put a lot of work into the car, looks good! There's a set of yellow and black leather seats on the classifieds in Austria which would suit it, probably a bit far away to collect though...