TDI oil pump chain failure, here's what it look like...

I bought a spare TDI engine el cheapo with oil pump chain failure last week, basically it will cost me nothing and i'll be in profit just selling the gearbox off it. I assumed it was toast and just got it for educational purposes and i wanted a spare head to port so no big deal if it is totally knackered, but i will repair it if the bearings are all ok, the turbo is shagged so not a good sign.

I spotted this 1st off:

DSCN4678.jpg

DSCN4682.jpg

DSCN4681.jpg

DSCN4680.jpg

That's a crack and 2 holes in the cover. :(

DSCN4684.jpg

Improvised crank locking tools.

DSCN4686.jpg

DSCN4685.jpg

Fookin tight!. tricky on my tod.

DSCN4688.jpg

Pully off and cleaned up a bit.

DSCN4689.jpg

Cover off and pic from underside.

DSCN4691.jpg

The chain was smashed into pieces.

DSCN4693.jpg

Crack shaft cog was distorted and cracked.

DSCN4694.jpg

DSCN4695.jpg

Spot the screw head....

DSCN4696.jpg

Sump off.

DSCN4697.jpg

These bits came out of the plastic baffle. (not the chain).

DSCN4698.jpg

The balance shaft weight has smashed the tensioner body.

Edit: Correction, I think the only shaft with enough torque to cause this damage is the crank shaft, so it was chain bunching between the crank cog and the tensioner body that smashed the tensioner off downwards and ripped the tooth on the crank cog.

DSCN4699.jpg

The screw heads are sheared right off and it is jammed in the cogs and the balance weight.

DSCN4700.jpg

3 mounting screws still in the block.

DSCN4701.jpg

DSCN4702.jpg

That's it for now, i'll take the balance shaft off and then take main bearing and big end caps off and see what damage is done there another time.

Part 2:

Tensioner is supposed to look like this:

fabia-mk2-4660.png

DSCN4703.jpg

DSCN4705.jpg

DSCN4704.jpg

Edited by Sausage

Well it's either a simple chain failure or else the tensioner failed followed shortly after by the chain. I'll clean up the tensioner bits and chain and have a closer look at them.

The pulsing of the 3 pot engine is not well suited to a chain drive on the balance shaft and as the oil pump is on there too then it can be catastrophic if the chain fails for whatever reason. The 4 pot tdi has smoother pulses but even so it is a poor design.

Mileage was about 170k on this engine btw. I'm just hoping they havent driven it home when it failed with the oil light on.:blink:

Edited by Sausage
fat fingers
  • Like 1

Well, the crank cog took a pounding all right it had spun on the crankshaft and turned brown with the heat. No wonder it wasn't round any more, it had to haul itself over the flat bits.

Crank should clean up, main bearings are shot, big ends are not the best either. So it's looking like it's for parts.

I'm investigating balance shaft delete for my own AMF engine now, this one was a 2008 BNV.

Edited by Sausage