Lupo Gti - Buying Guide

Ashley

Good Morning you lovely lot,

I have been on this forum on and off (mainly off for the last four years) and have owned three Lupos. I am now in the situation where I am looking at a gti as my daily. I have seen a few examples on ebay, auto trader and even VAG forums that look rough to say the least.

Can anybody give me hints and tips on what I need to check when looking? The obvious stuff like cambelt changes on time, FSH and obvious suspension, steering or braking issues don't need spelling out. I just need to know if there is anything specific that I need to look for?

Also on a side note if anybody knows of a tidy, well looked after gti for sale please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Ashley

1. Check the body panels. If the aluminium ones are damaged/dented. It can get quite expensive. (Bonnets are not available new)
  2. Check when the cambelt was changed. It can be expensive to change.
  3. The spoiler paint can bubble (common fault with Gti's, the only way to rectify this is get a new spoiler)
  4. check the seats function correct and lift (I know it sounds stupid, but some of the springs are expensive to replace, the one I needed would of cost £38 from vw)

I think grumpy has one that has only done 18300 miles and looks pretty good.

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/102161-lupo-gti-2005-05-18300-miles/