PDI 130 in a Lupo

mk2

I've been looking at various engineering drawings of the 1.7 and 1.9 SDI engines and realised that they are identical other than crankshaft, pistons and injectors. Cam's occasionally are different, but not usually from what I've found.

It got me thinking... Would a PDI 1.9 fit? The engine definitely would, but what about the gearbox? Is the gearbox for the 130 lump any bigger than the box for the 1.7 SDI? Has anyone ever seen them side by side?

I'm guessing that the half shafts could be reused, perhaps maybe changing the inner CV joints so flanges mate up correctly.

It would be possible to have a perfect stealth car with a chipped PDI 130 or even a 150 to 180HP. That would probably be too much power though for the little car to take.

In granny mode, you could drive around with the suspension up to normal ride height. Then if you wanted, you could set the car to hunker down and then enable 'boost'....

I don't think it'd be that difficult a project. The hardest bit would be the wiring to the 1.9 lump.

I'm sure someone must have done it already. I know loads of Mk4 Golf SDIs have been converted 'on the quiet' with great success to 180.

It's been done a few times. Darkside do a drag version which is cool. I think it would be cool but I'd imagine it would drive like a pig with all that low down torque. Also if you want something fast thats cool but a petrol still feels better to drive when pressing on. This is from a tdi owner lol.

It's been done a few times. Darkside do a drag version which is cool. I think it would be cool but I'd imagine it would drive like a pig with all that low down torque. Also if you want something fast thats cool but a petrol still feels better to drive when pressing on. This is from a tdi owner lol.

Too much torque in a little car is never good... Power yes, but torque no. I completely agree. I think probably 130hp will be enough.

So I've been thinking about haldex to help with all the torque distribution. I wonder if there's the space where the tank and rear subframe goes... Would need a custom propshaft and a few bit's'n'pieces around the back, along with cutting out the spare wheel well. The car would be well balanced.

When we did the 4WD 3.2 corrado work, one of the biggest problems was the fuel tank. It's like nothing will fit, as it needs to be contoured. My guess is that this might be the show stopper.

Back to 1.9 on its own. Definitely not the 085 box though. I suspect that that little bucket of cogs is only rated to about 100hp which is why so many let go.

Still in planning stage...

The 1.4 tdi uses a 02j EXB gearbox (well an arosa does anyway) I upgraded the 5th gear to a longer one and it's the same 5th that can fit in any 02j gearbox which seems to be shared by the 1.9tdi. I'm not saying a 1.9tdi will fit a 1.4tdi gearbox or take the power but there are similarities.