Seat Arosa Clutch

JamieB

right, im 17 years old, know very little about engines in cars... i own a 1L arosa S and my biting point seems to get higher and higher... i smell the clutch burning every now and then... im wondering if you can lower the biting point, or if i need a new clutch...

i could just ask my dad, but he will kill me if i say i have burnt my clutch out in just 2 weeks =/

Hi,

How were you taught to drive? Were you taught to hold the car on the bite at junctions, hills etc? If so, and probably the case as its quite often the way, this is very bad!

Driving instructors are total idiots for teaching you this, you would NOT pass an advanced test this way, as it is seen as very poor driving. :coffee:

Its not your fault i know, but it is a common thing and the number of people you see doing it is just stupid, i want to shout at them every time i see it! :lol:

A clutch can last well over 100-150K miles, i know cars still on their original clutch at over 250K! However, abuse of the clutch can wear them rapidly, i know cars which get through clutches in around 10K! All to do with driving style rather than the cars, of course.

You have to also think, its not just wearing your clutch plate rapidly, but also putting vast amounts of heat through your clutch. Which can crack the flywheel, ruin the slave cylinder etc etc.

Just think of your clutch in terms of your disc brakes (its not, don’t use the clutch as a brake) but the clutch friction plate is like your brake pads, and the flywheel like your brake disc. Think how hot your discs and pads get when you use them for a few seconds to do a fast stop. Now think what this is like for your clutch, which has little ventilation and that you might be forcing the clutch to slip (that’s what happening when your on the bite) for 5-10 minutes while in traffic – doesn’t sound good does it!

A lot of modern cars, especially diesels, have a dual mass flywheel, which is a stupid idea but they break easily if the clutch is abused, this is a very costly type of clutch to have to have replaced. All of which is quite costly to put right, for example a Mondeo (along with a lot of modern cars) clutch replacement can be as much as £1000, most clutch replacements are around £400-£600 but its not just the cost. What about the inconvenience of having a slipping clutch, you car wont pull up hills, burning smells, and people around you thinking your a bad driver when balancing the car on the bite point.

Riding the clutch at junctions - when stopped on any incline or what ever, holding the bite at junctions, balancing the car on the clutch etc (what ever you call it) is not the only way to wear out the clutch though. Its easily done by resting your foot on the clutch when driving alone, this can make the clutch slip. The clutch can also be worn by dragging out the clutch during gear changes, gear changes should be smooth but you want to be fairly quick with the clutch, so not to drag it out.

When ever your foot is not fully depressed on the clutch (right to the floor) or its right off the clutch completely, then you are wearing out the clutch plate. So when on the bite its wearing. Even if the car is crawling along very slowly, if your on the bite its wearing out.

Obviously you cant be right off the clutch in some cases, parking for example, you need to be on the bite, however you should never use the clutch as a brake to keep you on a hill. Its not a brake :wacko: Thats that the brakes are for! Keeping your foot on the footbrake with the clutch full pressed is what i do, or use the handbrake, so simple.

I know this is the way a lot of people drive, some people dont care, some people dont know what damage they are causing and others just pay for clutch replacements after clutch replacements. A clutch can last a while with a bit of abuse, but it depends what driving you do too, around town people are likely to ride the clutch so it wont last long. Motorways you obviously dont need the clutch so it will last you more miles. However it should last just as long regardless, if its used as intended. To change gear! And obviously provide a slower speed for parking.

Rant over, sorry but its really not a good way to drive, so i hope that helps a lilttle. Although if you dont do this then thats excellent and im sorry for ranting on.

Right, on with your questions, your bite will get higher and higher is your wearing it as above, thats the main cause. However you could well have a clutch issue, but its probably unlikely.

You can lower the bite point, its quite easy to do, although it only adjusts so far, once the adjustment has been used up then you will be needing a new clutch once its high again. However the adjustment should never be used up, as the clutch should never wear quickly with good driving ;)

To adjust the clutch bite is quite simple, there is a cable (the clutch cable) near the gearbox (right hand side low down in the engine bay. There will be two nuts on the end, first one is the locking nut, you need to undo that, then move the other a bit, tighten it up and go try the clutch. I thin if you slacken them it lowers the bite, but its a while since i have done it, so you might need to have a play around with that.

Meaning, adjust it a bite, then feel the bite. Put it into first with the handbrake on, and feel for the bite. If its still too high or its even higher, then adjust accordingly.

Sorry for my rant, but it might help, sorry for being a bit basic but im not sure how knowledgeable you are.

Chris.

Wow, that was a long reply =P

I dont tend to keep it at bite when at junctions, i dont know if changing gear too fast has made a difference =/

tbh, im not too clued up with engines....

i asked my dd to check my clutch now, he said it is fine. but i dont like it being so high...

it really is at the tip of the pedal nearly =[

ill try tightening those bolts, and thanks for the driving tips =P