Squeaky suspension

Dblock

Hi guys,

My suspension is pretty sqeaky over bumps at the moment. I need to have a look around and see what it is but I'm guessing its drop links as its sqeaks when going over bumps etc but I still need to check it.

My car is coming up for 100k and I though stuff for it is pretty cheapish so I might just refresh some of the stuff anyways. I've never seen drop links like the ones I have seen on the internet.

Do the drop links look like this 191411315.JPG

or like this?23030-0.jpg

Or do those things do different things? I.e. They are both needed?

Cheers guys

Edited by Dblock

First off are you sure it's the suspension? It's fairly common for a squeak to appear over bumps but it's usually the rubber seals on the boot!

As far as my understanding goes, Lupo's don't have convectional drop links as such, just a bush in which the ARB sits in. I know for my lupo (early 2000) the bush is the same as the first picture listed. I can't see this causing a squeak at all as it's not actually a suspension component and there should only really be movement on that bush in corners. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong though!

I'd look at boot rubbers first, then bump stops. If that doesn't solve it I'd give the suspension the once over. Is it standard, lowered springs or coilovers?

• Like 1

First off are you sure it's the suspension? It's fairly common for a squeak to appear over bumps but it's usually the rubber seals on the boot!

As far as my understanding goes, Lupo's don't have convectional drop links as such, just a bush in which the ARB sits in. I know for my lupo (early 2000) the bush is the same as the first picture listed. I can't see this causing a squeak at all as it's not actually a suspension component and there should only really be movement on that bush in corners. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong though!

I'd look at boot rubbers first, then bump stops. If that doesn't solve it I'd give the suspension the once over. Is it standard, lowered springs or coilovers?

Hi mate thanks for the reply.

It does sound like its coming from the front. Its like a clunk and squeak which in other cars can be the drop links. I'll check the boot though. I got a feeling its a bush somewhere and its had it. Will have a look when I get a chance.

Hi mate thanks for the reply.

It does sound like its coming from the front. Its like a clunk and squeak which in other cars can be the drop links. I'll check the boot though. I got a feeling its a bush somewhere and its had it. Will have a look when I get a chance.

I just can't see it being the bushes listed above. I'd check top mounts, suspension bearings and wishbone bushes! It's always the little things that are the most annoying and once you've noticed the sqeak you can't live with it haha!

I just can't see it being the bushes listed above. I'd check top mounts, suspension bearings and wishbone bushes! It's always the little things that are the most annoying and once you've noticed the sqeak you can't live with it haha!

Yeah I've got a feeling its the wishbone rear bushes. If the top mounts squeak do I replace them or tighten them up?

Yeah I've got a feeling its the wishbone rear bushes. If the top mounts squeak do I replace them or tighten them up?

I'd give them a squirt with lubricant or replace. Careful not to over tighten or you'll crush the bearings. I would put them quite far back on the list of causes though!