More questions from new owner...clutch this time!!!

T444kids

Right, here we go again! Thanks for the replays with the locking, onto the clutch now, got the lupo last week with bags of receipts, the most costly one being a new clutch and pedal box being fitted 9000 miles ago, I even called the garage who fitted them to make sure it was genuine, it was. They told me the cluch and reinforced box should probably see the car to the end of its life, I was more than happy with what they told me. My problem is, as I release the clutch there's a clicking noise, I don't know if it's anything to worry about, as the gear change/selection is fine. I hope I'm worrying about nothing as surely it can't be knackered after only 9000 miles? If there was a problem with selecting the gears then maybe, but all seems fine, just wonder why there's a "click". Cheers, gaz

Surely it can't be it had a reinforced box fitted 6 months ago, lifted the bonnet whilst I got someone to press the peddle, the noise is not coming from the peddle area.more the clutch itself...... Just took the kids to school this morning.... No clicking whatsoever, once again gear change is sweet as a nut, very strange.

Edited by T444kids

I agree it shouldn't be the pedal box again, but mine started clicking and I thought it was just a spring or whatever.. Sometimes it would happen sometimes not.. Had no problems at all with gear changing until I heard a crunch. Then clutch pedal was almost on the floor and almost impossible to change gear. Does it crunch when you put it in reverse?

No it went once and I had it weld repaired for a semi permanent / how ever long it lasts repair haha. Odd tho.. Go to car care and maintenance page on here then definite pedal box thread.. That's how I diagonosed my broken box.. Have a look under the steering column with a torch you should be able to see a crack (should)

No, can't see any cracks, if I turn the engine off and sit in silence, let the cluch in and out, there's a click just as the peddle is about an inch off the floor, the peddle itself sits at the perfect height, the next day I'll sit in silence let the peddle in and out and theres no noise at all! I think I'm driving myself mad. As I say the clutch and peddle box were done 9000 miles ago, so I'll just carry on driving and see what happens, nothing more I can do really. if it gets worse would the peddle drop. Cheers, gaz

Yes mate, the pedal will get abit lower as the box will wear mine did anyway. Then it will just crack and the pedal will hit the floor and wont come back.. I was lucky with mine as I could still change gears if I pushed the pedal down hard enough! Mine did it constantly for about 2 weeks then it went. Dont know why fyours is temperamental tho

• 4 weeks later...

Right, I've been keeping my eye on this for a few weeks now, the pedals getting really stiff, kind of a crunch when it gets to the floor, the pedals not got lower, just stiffer, when the cars cold, it's fine, seems to get worse as the car gets warmer, changing gears seems stiff too, does this sound like the pedal box is slowly on its way out. Cheers, gaz