1.4 16V or 1.4 TDi (or 1.6 GTi)?

kayel

Hi. I'm (still/again) thinking about buying a Lupo (I'm going to get my driving license in about a month if all goes well) and currently I'm deciding between the three versions I mentioned (1.4 16V petrol, 1.4 TDi or 1.6 GTi). It would be great if there's anyone here who could make a comparison of these. I understand that the GTi is the most powerful one indeed. What I would like to know is mainly what the differences between the two with the 1.4 engine are (in power, and also if there is anything else different between them). It would also be good if someone who has driven both (or even all three) of them could comment and compare them.

Thanks a lot for all answers :)

Get some insurance quotes before buying anything, unless you have unlimited funds ,

I've got a 1.4 16v and 1.7 sdi , the 1.4 drives fine not over quick but nice enough but my 1.7 diesel is lovely ,tad slow on moving off but 65 mpg and £30 a year to tax more than makes up for it. I think the 1.7 gets a unfair rep for being dreadfully slow , but its a great little car for covering miles cheaply and really it does not make that much difference in speed given today's traffic

Edited by Bigplum

Thanks for posts.

As for the insurance, it works a little differently here in Slovakia (in fact, I'm not 100% sure how it works, but there's not a big difference between petrol and diesel car, and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a bit higher than 30 pounds anyway). Also, diesel is slightly cheaper than petrol here, so the SDi or TDi would be even cheaper to run.

Anyway, still not sure if my first car is going to be a Lupo after all, as the prices are still pretty high (compared to other options we're contemplating, as Passat before or Golf Mk3, for instance). Perhaps I'll only buy it after a couple years when it's even cheaper. But it's always good to know what your options are :)

So, given the circumstances around here: if you didn't look at the insurance prices, which version would you prefer (taking into account running costs and so on)?

Ah , I did not notice your location,

In the UK youngsters would struggle to insure anything over 1000cc without paying thousands , I know one lad was quoted £8000 to insure a 1400cc car, but the cost goes down as they get older and keep disasters to a minimum.

The tax over here varies with either the cars age , engine size or emissions depending how old the car is.

I'd go for a 1.7 mainly because of my daily commute , I have not driven a 1.4 tdi I guess it will go pretty well but they are more expensive to buy over here.

8000 pounds sounds crazy :o here, they also take into account age, engine size and power etc., but there aren't such terrible differences as far as I know. For a Lupo, it could be around 80-100 € per year, with the 1.6 GTi perhaps being a few € more expensive to insure, but nothing catastrophic.

As for the price of the cars, I've been looking for people selling them here in Slovakia and also some dealers in Germany, and they start at around 1500 €. Not sure about the quality of those cheapest ones though. I could have an older Passat or Golf at much better condition for those same money, so that's why we're looking at other options. But those Lupos just keep attracting me - you probably understand that since you're on this forum as well :D thanks for advices. I'll see how things turn out (perhaps I end up with a Lupo in the end :)).

Hi. I'm (still/again) thinking about buying a Lupo (I'm going to get my driving license in about a month if all goes well) and currently I'm deciding between the three versions I mentioned (1.4 16V petrol, 1.4 TDi or 1.6 GTi). It would be great if there's anyone here who could make a comparison of these. I understand that the GTi is the most powerful one indeed. What I would like to know is mainly what the differences between the two with the 1.4 engine are (in power, and also if there is anything else different between them). It would also be good if someone who has driven both (or even all three) of them could comment and compare them.

Thanks a lot for all answers :)

Ive had a Arosa 1.4 16v sport and now a tdi. The tdi is so good my brother got one too.

The 1.4 16v is possibly the worst car ever made in some ways. It's nippy as it has 100bhp yes but it feels sluggish around town compared to the tdi since the tdi's torque comes in much much lower. Also the 1.4 16v will drink petrol. I mean drink it like a 300hp car, I'd say a 1.4 16v will average 30-35mpg if your lucky, double that in the tdi. If driving at 70mph then the 1.4 16v will be revving to about 4000rpm and the gearbox and peddle box WILL break. The tdi gearbox is much much stronger and only revs to 2500rpm with a mod to decrease it to 2000rpm if you wanted. Hydraulic clutch in tdi is better than sport. Many known faults and other expenses on a 1.4 16v like, throttle body, lambda,egr, gearbox etc etc. The tdi is a much more robust car and mods better too. Get a remap it will take the 75bhp tdi to 100bhp or thereabouts. It then is still slower than the sport (just) but better in every other way.

I've driven both the GTI and the 1.4 sport (which I own), and although the GTI is obviously a lot quicker, the 1.4 petrol is great fun if you give it some revs. Obviously fuel economy isn't great but I can get 42mpg on a sensible run. Like the poster above said, give it a try (you might like it!) :)

Thanks for advices. I'm still at driving school though (and it's illegal to drive here before you get your driving license, and you can't get a learner's license like in the UK, you have to finish the driving school and take the driving exam) so it's not really possible for me to do a test drive. I'll probably do it when I've got the license, I just wanted to get some information beforehand.