Lupo gear selection problem!

Lupo-94

First off, I joined the forum to get a bit of well bread knowledge and advice on a problem that seems to have been getting worse as it goes on.

About a month ago, the clutch was changed and when the gearbox was put back in my mate forget to put the gearbox mounting bolt back in. Luckily all the other mounting bolts were rumped in so it seemed fairly solid at the time.

A week after, I clipped a speed bump and the gearbox dropped slightly and after that I had huge difficulty selecting gears. I lost reverse and 2nd and in order to go into 1st, I had to select reverse.

Soon after I couldn't select 1st and now the car is stuck in 3rd and won't select anything else. The gear stick moves freely. It's as if the linkage isn't connected to the selector. Clutch still works fine as does the pedal box. Any ideas?

First off, GET THAT BOLT BACK IN. (Appologies if you already have :P) only reason is that if your gearbox slips or shears another bolt and moves then it could easily destroy your flywheel, and trust me, one of those flying out of the car at high velocity is scary!!!

Now onto your problem, if you're mechanically minded then this'll be reallllyyy easy :P

Get your car in the air.

Get under the front of the car and look at the back of the gear box, you should see a shiny pin coming out of the gearbox, this will be connected to your gear shifter, with a pin and then a clevis pin, then there will be a series of bolts and Arms, that when moved, move the gear shifter, by the sounds of it all you need too do is realign the bolts :) I had the same issue when I did my clutch but only because I didn't do it up tight enough! If you have any issues then throw some pics up of your gearbox + selector and ill have a nose :) GOOD LUCK!

Also, which gearbox mounting bolt???? I'm thinking the one at the rear of the engine that goes through the engine steady but let me know :)

Edited by Mattz341

Matt, you're a gentleman. It's the rear gearbox mount that sticks out like a leg? All the bell housing bolts and other mounts are held firmly in place. Don't really have access to a ramp. I will take it to my mates on saturday and get it up on axle stands. Surely that will give us enough room? Took a look at it today and appears you need the hands of a small child to get to it lol

Aha let me paint u a picture! If I'm correct then the bolt that was left out that goes thought this "leg" is the rear bottom engine steady that also doubles up as an engine to gearbox fixing, itll look like a long bolt with another thread on the other end that a nut would sit on? sadly too say mate but you will need that bolt. It'll be an absolute dog too do as well as I made the same mistake it seems your friend did.. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Any who! Onto the main issue, it's actually quite easy too do as all the little bits are quite accessible, I mean I'm 6ft 4 and not exactly small and managed it alright!, basically it's trial and error, if I had a picture it would be so much easier to explain! But basically you'll have a set up of arms and joints and there will be two bolts that can be undone and adjusted, these are the two you need to play with, it'll be trial and error mainly but it'll take no time at all when u realise what bits u can adjust, where abouts are u mate? Coz if you're local to sunny Sussex then ill just pop over and do show you! :)

Edited by Mattz341

Just had a look under the car. The linkage housing was hanging off the metal rod-like selector and the gearbox is sitting about 5mm out of alignment from the mount. Gearbox is also leaking a bit of oil... It just gets worse lol. It looks easy enough to reallign the linkage provided the car is high enough. If the whole linkage mechanism is damaged, will linkages from other 5 speed Lupos 1.0-1.4 fit? I'm in Edinburgh, Scotland mate. Couldn't be further away if I tried haha

Aha ouch! Linkage would fit but that wouldn't be causing the leak, definitely need that bolt back through the steady and back into the gear box, I couldn't say from experience but I'm pretty sure they should fit, try and get another one from the same spec lupo, try and find the leak as well, what colour is the oil? Try and get the gear box back in line, it'll probably be reallllly fecking annoying considering you'll have to loosen things off and try again :/

The gearbox connected to the engine properly it's just that rear mount is very close to the selector so I'm thinking that's what's knocked it off when it's came undone. Oil is a very light transparent brown - definitely tranny fluid.