Hit Pot Hole

I hit a pot hole quite hard last week when going round a bend :(

It bent the wishbone which I have replaced, but the steering wheel is still 45deg out when going in a straight line.

Should wheel alignment sort this or is it likely that something else has been damaged too?

Hi Jambro,

Wheel alignment can be adjusted to rectify the problem, although if the track rod or track rod end has become bent as well. Either or both of those will need to be replaced as well, otherwise you'll be comepensating the amount of tyre tread on the road in order to re-gain correct wheel centre alignment.

You can only check the state of the track rod, by removing the gaitor clips and sliding the rubber boot back. There's no grease issue to worry about here, so it's a simple job to check. Whilst you're there, it'd be a good idea to check for signs of moisture of power sterring fluid, as the pot hole may have damaged the end of the rack, which I hope for your dake has not happened, as it'll be a new rack otherwise. Also check the CV boot for splitting as well.

Let me know how you get on, if more info is required.

Regards, Dale.