What to look for in a Lupo?

livmarshall17

Ive always wanted a Lupo, and after saving my money i can now finally start looking for one :)

After buying my Ford KA i later discovered i needed ALOT of work doing to it...mainly rust and corrosion underneath the car so im quite worried about looking at cars again.

Im taking someone with me who knows quite a lot about cars in general but is there anything i should specifically look for with a lupo? any common faults that i should know about?

Would really appreciate the advice :)

I've only heard about a couple of quite common problems with Lupos. Electric windows failing, side doors sagging because they're so long and heavy on the hinges, and pedal box clutch problems. I've only experienced the electric windows failing...in my case it was just the window regulators and cables had seized up and needed re-greasing (DIY job costs about £5 for some lithium spray grease). I think the clutch/pedal box issues could be more on the older models pre-2000 ish I'm not sure, I've certainly had no such issues at all (mine's a 2001). Have a look around the forum for info. If you test drive a Lupo, I would just check it doesn't have : the clutch pedal sitting lower than brake pedal, stiff gear change, crunching into reverse, hard to engage first, clunky when moving 5th to 4th, 3rd to 2nd or a very low bite point.

As far as corrosion goes, I think you don't have much to worry about compared to a Ford Ka. Even the oldest Lupos should be solid. Although, have a look at the roof as some develop strange rust patches in the gutter area, could be easily missed. I think this is very rare though?

If I didn't do too many miles I'd get the 1.4 petrol model, nice balance of power and economy. I hear the 1.0 petrol doesn't like very cold mornings, could be a myth.

I think it's safe to say the only way is up from a Ford Ka though!

Good luck with your search.

Hi, Thankyou for the advice :)

in the end i managed to find myself a nice seat arosa and as they are very similar still used the advice. specially with the doors as i see what you mean about them being heavy, doesnt have electric windows so shouldnt experience any problems with them (hopefully).

Went to look at a few lupos but some of them looked like they had been in some accidents with a dodgy paint job to cover it. Thought id go look at an Arosa and found mine in mint condition with good mileage for its age. Really pleased with it :) Will probably look for a Lupo GTI when ive had more driving experience.