Engine running rough - Help please!

Hey guys,

My 2000 1.0 Lupo has spat it's dummy out and doesn't want to play anymore.

On the way home from work yesterday, the engine started to run roughly, sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders. The engine check light started flashing, but then went out.

I nursed the car home and left it until today.

I've spent this evening outside, trying to work out what's wrong.

I plugged in my little code reader, and that gave me the following errors:

16804/P0420/001056 - Catalyst System; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold

16684/P0300/000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

16688/P0304/000772 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

16523/P0139 - O2 Sensor Circ.,Bank1-Sensor2 Slow Response

I've pulled all the plugs, they didn't look too bad apart from number 4. That was a bit oiled up. I've checked the spark on number 4 and it gave a good strong spark.

I've run a compression test and the cylinders are pretty even at between 200 and 220psi.

I have taken the sensor out of the Cat, but I have no idea how I can test that. There are no evident leaks in the exhaust system.

The EGR valve has recently been replaced due to the old one been blocked/clogged and no amount of cleaning fixed it.

The full exhaust system has also recently been replaced.

I don't know what to check or replace next... any ideas?

Cheers :)

New lambda I reckon - its broken (hence the slow to respond fault) and is reporting the wrong values (hence the cat efficiency fault)

The misfires could well be a result of corroded HT leads/coil packm check all the connections and see if they are all clean

I'll get a new Lambda today.

With the misfire, I checked the spark from lead 4 and also checked the spark from the plug. Both gave a good strong spark, but when I unplugged the lead while the engine running, it made very little difference to the uneven running.

I checked the connections at the coil pack, number 3 was green corrosion, so I cleaned that up, but every other one was fine.

Have you run it low on fuel lately ?

Although the codes are pointing to electrical items, and because their is (as you say) a healthy spark when out of the engine,

its randomness in misfires could be fuel related. Uncombusted fuel will start to annoy the cat and also the lambda sensor.

Id start this one by changing the fuel filter and going from there

Which side of Baaaaaarnsley do you live on? Im not too far away, you can try my coil pack/leads if you want, see if that makes a difference (I also have a spare one)

i have VAGCOM too

That's a great offer dude! I'm at Darton, just off J38 of the M1. Where abouts are you?

Have you run it low on fuel lately ?

Although the codes are pointing to electrical items, and because their is (as you say) a healthy spark when out of the engine,

its randomness in misfires could be fuel related. Uncombusted fuel will start to annoy the cat and also the lambda sensor.

Id start this one by changing the fuel filter and going from there

No, I've not run low on fuel. I always fill up just as the light comes on.

I'll change the filter though for what they cost.

I live in Whitwood, Just off J31 M62

Ah, you're a bit further out than I'd want to trundle in the Loop.

I'm gonna have another tinker tomorrow evening, I'll swap some leads around, see if that makes a difference and try checking the injectors too.

Fingers crossed I find the problem.

I've fixed it!

I checked the injectors... all 4 were giving a good even spray pattern.

I checked the timing belt to make sure it hadn't jumped a tooth or something... all good.

I went back to the beginning and started looking at the plugs/leads/coil pack again. The new plugs had all sooted up the same while I'd been trying to fix it. So I cleaned them all up and re-gapped them.

I bought a brand new coil pack off ebay... it was a piece of junk. That gave me 2 more error codes, 17756 & 17757, both indicating an open circuit and faulty coil pack. So I swapped them and put the old one back on. While I was doing this, it was getting dark. I noticed a bit of a spark jumping between the leads on 2 & 4 between the block.

I plugged in a timing light onto each cylinder, to move the metal shroud around the plug away from an earthing point. On 3 out of the 4 cylinders, the timing light made the engine run a bit better.

I swapped out the leads for new ones... voila! All fixed.

It's confused me as to how 3 leads have dropped out at the same time, and why I was still getting a good spark from the plugs when I was testing.

But at least its fixed now!! :)