Sunroof 'Grinding' noise!

Bought myself a GTI knowing it had a sunroof problem, but dont actually know if it is the motor or what so if anyone else has any ideas any help would be mucho appreciato!

It makes a grinding noise when you turn to open, sounds like small plastic gears grinding against each other. Then opens a bit, stops, grinds, acts strange, you can push it while its grinding and it will 'grab' and close properly...

Any ideas?

Oh and my passenger window wont go up sometimes, it stops half way then just wont do anything for a few mins then itl go back down. Pushing it up helps, it slows down as if the window is the wrong shape to the frame?

Cheers in advance!

I had a similar thing with mine, there was a plastic cover in the roof over the winder guides, it was catching on the sunroof. The roof thought it had met an obstruction so opened itself again.

If you open the sunroof fully, then twist the dial again, it should retract the panel fully so you can look down the sides better.

I'll see if i can take a pic later to try and explain better.