Radio stays on after turning the ignition off

Hello Chaps

I thought I'd check here to see if Mrs P's car is suffering from a known problem before pulling the radio/cd player.

It's a standard fitment in a 2001 Lupo GTI and has taken to refusing to turn off or even better turning itself on when the key is removed. I'm not sure how long it continues to run for but it is some time although my wife tells me that it is usually off by the time she returns to the car. Has anybody come across this or do we just have a bonkers stereo here?

Thanks in advance for any bright ideas.

Regards

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Hey dude I have the same problem! When I'm in my car for a long time and the radio is on it turns its self off after hour and a half its a battery saving thing for when its off!

It annoys me to as iv gota keep turning it off and on my self and my battery isn't the best so if I leave the radio on and forgot bout it, it drains my battery I think its something to do with the ignition wire to the back of the radio

Sounds like you have the 'live' and 'ignition' wires the wrong way around.

Switch a red into a yellow and a yellow into a red and this may fix your problem.

It did for me, and many others.

Iv tryed that aswell bro and nothing?? So I'm waiting for my mate to have a look at it and will let u know wot was thhe problem :)

Make sure the ignition barrel isnt sticking in the down position when you pull the key out. mine was sticking down, leaving the radio on when the key was removed.

little squirt of wd40 and working the ignition on and off sorted it!