starting issue

hi everyone, just thought to ask some of you who is a bit mechanicly minded! this morning my 1l started with no problem but in the afternoon, i tried to start the car, and kind of tried to start but didn't. the gas pedal was loose and i coudn't rev it at all. then i tried again - same thing, again - same thing, then i've managed to turn it on the rev counter showed 2000rp and the engine was really trugling. i turn it off, smelled quite a bit of petrol, then tried to turn it on again and it turned on!!!but now when ever i'm switching it on it makes weird loud noise from underneith!!!!what could that be???starter motor? temp sensor? anything else? please help!!! and if it's a starter motor how easy it is to change????

thank you

it will be either towards the back of the engine or on the gearbox. the starter turns the flywheel that is bolted to the end of the crankshaft. the flywheel is in the bellhousing (bit that bolts to the engine) of the gearbox so the starter will be around there.