Helo

jayp

Hi everyone.

I live in Pembrokeshire, S.Wales and bought my Arosa about 3 months ago. Absolute hoot to drive.. if a bit slow :lol:. Its Red (flash red?).. main thing that made me buy it was the bodywork. No rust on the body/chassis. Paint was a bit flat but after a good polish it came up really nice. Test drove it, everything seemed fine, engine pulled well, no problems with the breaks, clutch, gearbox etc. Thought i was on to a proper goodun.. read on.

I posted a topic in the Maintenance & Mechanical section a while ago.. The oil light had started to come on once the engine was really hot. Anyway, we replaced the oil pump, had a look at the bottom end, big ends, mains etc. Only slight wear on the big ends, which we were expecting for a car that had done 75,000 miles..

So anyway, last weekend we took it into the garage and started to rip the top end to bits, took the rocker cover off and could see where the problem was right away. (weird design isn't it, the rocker is actually part of the whole top). Well, the cam, (journals?) etc are all majoooorly worn.. running your finger across them there's pretty deep lines across the whole lot.. My dad said that whoever had owned it previously.. hadn't noticed a low oil problem, the oil pump cant have been pumping properly, so the top hadn't been getting much oil.. Nackered it was :angry: . So i needed either a new head or complete engine.

Good news though, managed to get a hold of an engine from a scrappy.. The thing had only done 7696 miles! :o It came from an 04 arosa, seems they use the same auc code motor as the 01 i have. Probably owned by an old lady or something..Was amazed at how low the mileage was.. Anyway It's sat over the garage ready to be fitted this Saturday.

Will hopefully have a "goodun" after all.

Sorry for rambling on :blush: