Lupo 1.4S Central Locking Problem

creationtwentytwo

Hey everyone,

My central locking has just started playing up on my '01 1.4S.

Seemed to happen suddenly (as in, worked fine in the morning, then broken in the afternoon) but whenever I try to lock the car in either the passenger or drivers door, the drivers side lock wont engage and the pin doesn't move. The passenger side locks fine.

I can't push the pin down and it makes one hell of a noise when trying to lock, sounds like the motor (or whatever it is) is jammed.

I took the upper door card off but didn't wanna pull off too much of the insulation foam stuff to have a good look, from what I could see though it appears the lock mechanism is a sealed unit so I didn't know what to do anyway.

I spoke to my local VW dealer who want £50 just to inspect it so obviously I thought I'd get some advice on here before I drop that.

Is there any way to fix it or suggestions I could try to resolve it or is it literally just gonna need a new lock mechanism do you think? If this is the case, is it a DIY job or is it the kind of ball-ache best left to a mechanic? I know windows/door mechanisms can be a real fiddly job sometimes so I'm guessing this is no different.

As I said, it seemed to happen suddenly and didn't gradually get worse, I'm also unaware of anything happening prior to it jamming which could've caused problems.

Thanks