steering wheel

hey, im on fitting my new steering wheel, ive got the standard one NEARLY off but i dont know what to do with the wires?

ive got the momo racing hub...

do you have to cut the horn wire and how do you get the airbag wire from the steering wheel?

its seams impossible without having to cut the airbag wire but i need the adaptor on the end..

can anyone help please..

Cut the airbag wire?

The airbag has a plug on the back of it. If you have the airbag off, which i assume you do as you need it off to take the wheel off then you should be able to see the plug on the back.

Also behind the lower plastic cowl on the steering column is the airbag loom plug, its covered by a bit of foam.

And, there are three small torx screws, if you undo them when you take off the old wheel then the slip ring will stay where it is and the airbag plug and wire will pull through the centre of the wheel.

As for the horn, its a simple earth circuit, and again behind the airbag there is a plug type connector to disconnect it.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

Cut the airbag wire?

The airbag has a plug on the back of it. If you have the airbag off, which i assume you do as you need it off to take the wheel off then you should be able to see the plug on the back.

Also behind the lower plastic cowl on the steering column is the airbag loom plug, its covered by a bit of foam.

And, there are three small torx screws, if you undo them when you take off the old wheel then the slip ring will stay where it is and the airbag plug and wire will pull through the centre of the wheel.

As for the horn, its a simple earth circuit, and again behind the airbag there is a plug type connector to disconnect it.

John

cheers m8 ill give it another go now lol

nope not at all.

Heres what to do from elsawin, easier to copy this in to here rather than explain it:

N69-0123.png

– Disconnect battery earth strap.

– Release steering column adjustment.

– Turn steering wheel -1- until horizontal steering wheel spokes are vertical. Pull out steering column completely and push down to lowest position.

– Insert a screwdriver with approx. 5 mm wide blade and angled to give a length of 55 mm, from the back side into hole in steering wheel hub.

– Turn screwdriver through 90°, thereby pushing securing ring -2- off locking lugs in steering wheel hub and thereby releasing airbag unit on this side.

– Turn steering wheel back 180° and release second locking lug on opposite side.

– Grasp airbag unit on horizontal spokes and push out of vertical anchorage.

– Pull connector off airbag unit.

N69-0125.png

– Remove driver airbag

– Unscrew bottom part of trim -6- for steering column switch.

– Pull foam tube -7- off the connector -8- and separate connector.

– Turn wheels to straight-ahead position.

– Remove hexagon nut with collar -4- and pull steering wheel off steering column. Coil connector with slip ring -5- remains on the steering wheel.

Edited by CasperGTI

It's a bitch to remove the airbag.. Dont need a bent screwdriver, just one thats no to long or to short to pop the spring ring off.

I think the steering wheel nut is 24mm(Or it was on mine) Should be torqued to 50nm.