1 amp or 2?

I have myself, a box, a sub, and some rear speakers, Just looking at amplifiers now.

Ive been looking at powering the sub and speakers off a 4 channel amp. but will I be able to use the LPF on one channel and not for the speaker channels? Or will I be better off just getting a mono amp for the sub and a 2 channel for the speakers?

Should I wire the coils of my sub in series or parallel? I know how to wire each up, im just unsure of the advantages of each? or say I had a 4 channel amp, could i connect 2 channels to the sub?

cheers, Rob.

I have myself, a box, a sub, and some rear speakers, Just looking at amplifiers now.

Ive been looking at powering the sub and speakers off a 4 channel amp. but will I be able to use the LPF on one channel and not for the speaker channels? Or will I be better off just getting a mono amp for the sub and a 2 channel for the speakers?

Should I wire the coils of my sub in series or parallel? I know how to wire each up, im just unsure of the advantages of each? or say I had a 4 channel amp, could i connect 2 channels to the sub?

cheers, Rob.

If you get a 4 channel amp, you can run most of them in "Tri mode" with 2 channels bridged to power the sub, and the other two for normal speakers.

What are the specs of your sub? You say its dual voice coil, do you know how many ohms each coil is? This will dictate what amp you need to buy really.

If you get a 4 channel amp, you can run most of them in "Tri mode" with 2 channels bridged to power the sub, and the other two for normal speakers.

What are the specs of your sub? You say its dual voice coil, do you know how many ohms each coil is? This will dictate what amp you need to buy really.

OK, Its a JBL GTO1202D. dual 2 ohm. Does wiring it in series and parallel affect the total impedance of the speaker then?

EDIT: OK, In doing some research, ive found that it does affect the impedance, and I can have it wired as a 1ohm or 4ohm. Which way round is which though? and will I need an incredibly expensive amp to power it at 1 ohm?

Edited by DAS HAPPIWAGEN

OK, Its a JBL GTO1202D. dual 2 ohm. Does wiring it in series and parallel affect the total impedance of the speaker then?

EDIT: OK, In doing some research, ive found that it does affect the impedance, and I can have it wired as a 1ohm or 4ohm. Which way round is which though? and will I need an incredibly expensive amp to power it at 1 ohm?

found this amp.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-GT5-A3001-GT5-A3...id=p3286.c0.m14

Says its capable of providing 300W RMS @ 1 ohm. My speaker is only rated for 300W RMS so id be running it at its full potential at its lowest impedance. It wont power my speakers aswell but as a sub amp, Isn't that the optimum setup?

Edited by DAS HAPPIWAGEN

Me to ebay man :

"Hi mate. Just wondering if you could help me;

I've been told that running speakers at there lowest impedance produces optimum results. My sub is a JBL GTO1202D with dual 2 ohm voice coils. These can be wired at 1 ohm or 4 ohm, so I intend to have it wired as 1 ohm. The maximum RMS of the sub is 300W. This amp says it provides 300W RMS @1ohm. So is this the right amp to get the most out this sub?

Cheers, Rob."

ebay man :

"yes this will work fine"

not the most comprehensive answer i could have hoped for. I know it will work, but will it be getting the best out my sub?

Can anyone else shed some light?

Edited by DAS HAPPIWAGEN

Wire it parallel to 1 ohm, then use that amp and it will be absolutely ideal :)

Just checked the spec for that sub, and you'd be best off putting a port in the box you are using (which is about 45/50 litres)

The port would need to be 10" long and 4inch diameter, and would gain you around 3 or 4db down low, but make the box play a little slower. I'd put one in personally (3db is quite a lot)

Wire it parallel to 1 ohm, then use that amp and it will be absolutely ideal :)

Just checked the spec for that sub, and you'd be best off putting a port in the box you are using (which is about 45/50 litres)

The port would need to be 10" long and 4inch diameter, and would gain you around 3 or 4db down low, but make the box play a little slower. I'd put one in personally (3db is quite a lot)

You're a legend mate. cant thank you enough! (I'm not being OTT he gave me the box aswell LOL)