uprating amplifier supply??

Hi im looking at upgrading my system soon. Ive seen what I want I think, car audio direct do a deal where you get a SPL Dynamics S-1200D amp (1200 rms @ 1ohm), SPL Dynamics SPL300D2 Subwoofer (1500 rms) and SPL Dynamics AWK-35 2AWG wiring kit all for £366 which is like half the price than buying seperates.

My question is if I buy two of these sets what sort of power supply upgrades would I need to do? My loop is a Tdi so has a 120A alternator.

Also are spl dynamics a good brand? and what are there subwoofers like? are they competition quaility?

Thanks everyone its a massive help.

The subs aren't near competition quality.

If you want them powered properly, you will need another power source. YellowTop batteries seem to be the best, linked in with the car battery and alternator. The alternator should cope with it nicely so no need to uprate.

to be honest mate a decent good quality amp that runs 1200rms expect to pay more then£300 for the amp alone let alone the wiring kit which would cost £40-60 i think and a sub anything over £120 for 1000rms that is, now im not saying the rms figures arnt honest but personally i don't think they going to be top quality ie sound or performance for £366

to be honest mate a decent good quality amp that runs 1200rms expect to pay more then£300 for the amp alone let alone the wiring kit which would cost £40-60 i think and a sub anything over £120 for 1000rms that is, now im not saying the rms figures arnt honest but personally i don't think they going to be top quality ie sound or performance for £366

The amp is £399.99

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/spl-dynamics-s-1200d.html

The sub is £269.99

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/spl-dynami...l-300d2-v2.html

and the wiring kit is £59.99

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/spl-dynami...wk-35-2awg.html

so as you can see its a really good package deal, nearly half the price.

It might not be the best quality stuff, but for the price and the sheer wattage it looks alright! I'm quite tempted by it myself :S

Bear in mind it needs a 56Litre ported box, which is going to be almost the whole boot. I run a 45 litre box now, which is the entire volume of the boot from the boot floor to the boot lip:

sub.jpg

To get another 10 litres you could extend down into the spare wheel well, and perhaps make the whole box another few inches taller. On a car with a full size well you could keep the spare wheel by using a space saver which leaves you another 6 inches of room above it (Although that's where my amp is stashed!) It also needs a 16x2 slot port, which would be hard to include if you keep your back seats as it again eats into the volume of the box.

it's doable, but would take some thinking!

Edited by cobblers

thanks for that mate, I think im gonna take my rear seats out so box size wont be an issue.

So you think the kit sounds decent?

I'm not running this exact stuff, was just putting the pic up to convey how big the box would have to be :)

yeh it looks decent for the price butt that sub is a 2ohm sub so the amp is only going to give it 800wats rms not 1200, could do with a bigger amp to get the most out off that sub to be honest with you but you really cant complain at that price still dont think the quality is going to be there lol (but im kinda a pioneer person lol)

yeh it looks decent for the price butt that sub is a 2ohm sub so the amp is only going to give it 800wats rms not 1200, could do with a bigger amp to get the most out off that sub to be honest with you but you really cant complain at that price still dont think the quality is going to be there lol (but im kinda a pioneer person lol)

Isn't it a dual 2 ohm? Wired in parallel to show 1 ohm?

If you look at little rich's build in his boot (which is now mine), you'll get a better understanding. I'm running 1x Sundown amp, which costs £599 alone and thats powering 2x 15's, and theres still 2x Yellowtop batteries in the spare wheel well. If i was to uprate the subs and get another amp, i would have to uprate the alternator at least.

Half decent kit, and at that deal price its a bargain! infact im slightly tempted, wack it in a big ported box and hello low bass :)

Heard one of these sealed and it sounded fairly good, 1 would be plenty in a lupo unless your doing a big build, but then id say get different gear...

Alternator will be more than enough, battery will probably be fine but may live a short life, either run a yellow top or just upgrade the one up front,

And yes ben, if you ran another sundown (which id love to see with a pair of DC 4's) youd have to upgrade your alternator, bearing in mind the 1.0s only come with a 70amp alternator as standard

Andy retro fitted a 150amp alternator off a golf i believe and set him back juat under 200 notes with all the cabeling

Back to the deal, its obv not going to be the best system in the world! but for value for money, and if thats around your budget id be very tempted at it,

Hope thats some help!

Rich,

Back to the subject here for a second!

A few years back, in my old Saxo I ran a pair of Directed 600D amps, a pair of 15" directed subs (I forget the model) and another amp for the rest of the speakers that was something like 450w RMS. So thats 1200W of Class D, and 450w Class A and I didn't touch anything - 85 Amp alternator, and a new battery off a Saxo Diesel. Rather than run 0 Gauge, I went with what I had and ran 2x 2gauge and a 4gauge and ran each amp on it's own cable.

I used to blast it out close to clipping from Hull to Rotherham and back every weekend, all the way (And I wonder why my hearing isn't as good as it used to be! :rolleyes: ) and never had an issue with battery charge, but I suppose I was at a constant 2500rpm or so it stayed topped nicely.

I'd say give it a go and see how you get on, no harm! Another battery will give you more time before things go flat (you could run a split charge system so you can drive still) but a decent alternator will keep things charged.

EDIT: Bugger! it's just gone up! I had one added to my cart earlier at £366, and was bloody tempted to spend money I don't have, lol. Thanks for saving me £366, caraudiodirect!

Edited by cobblers

And yes ben, if you ran another sundown (which id love to see with a pair of DC 4's) youd have to upgrade your alternator, bearing in mind the 1.0s only come with a 70amp alternator as standard

Andy retro fitted a 150amp alternator off a golf i believe and set him back juat under 200 notes with all the cabeling

Its tempting, it really is as i now know a guy who is a good friend with the importer of Sundown and can get me the amp and stupid money, but its money i really don't have at the moment!

Back on topic, my mistake, i didn't see the deal price in the orginal thread, £366 for that lot seems like a bargain! Just make sure its boxed properly.