Lupo gear change issues on long distance travel

Hi all,

I am having an issue with my 1.4 Automatic Lupo and was wondering if anyone has any idea what could be wrong. When driving short distances, and at slower speeds ( less than 50mph and say a 20 mile journey) I have no issues. However when going long distance with high speeds, problems start to occur. The problem happens when I am coming to the end of the journey and I have to stop or really slow the car down into a low gear (ie coming back into a residential area after a motorway). Once I build the cars speed up again the car starts to over rev and jolt/bang into the next gear. The engine sounds like its struggling and the acceleration seems to be poor when the car is in this state. The problem goes away once the engine is switched off and then back on (I did a test and pulled over to switch off and back on just to be sure of this). However this cant be good for the car and I'm concerned it may happen whilst on the motorway leaving me in trouble trying to complete the rest of the journey. No lights or anything appear on the dash board and the issue doesn't always occur, typically when I was trying to prove to the garage the symptoms....

I had it serviced a few months back and also inspected a little while ago but they couldn't find anything wrong. Long distance travel is becoming a real pain with this and I'm concerned it could lead to worse problems if not corrected. My assumption is that it could be an electrical issue as the car runs fine short distance, and also once the ignition has been restarted. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

i know oil breaks down when old (goes thin/runny) and also gets thinner when hot. as an auto box relies on oil pressure to change gear it might be a good idea to change the oil if it hasnt been done.

a friend had a transporter automatic and it wouldnt select gears, found the oil cooler had split and filled the box with water, the van wouldnt move unless on the flat! we changed the oil and could get it to move so changed it over and over as it still had water in it and eventually it would select all gears but i think the water did some damage as gear selections were a bit harsh, in the end we changed the box.