Problem Starting

My daughter's 1.4 lupo has started to develop a problem starting (usually from cold). I've just cleaned the leads, tried to start but would not fire. I then removed No1 spark plug, turned the engine over again just to check I'm getting a spark, which I am. Don't think it is a fuel problem because the plugs were wet. This happens now and again but is getting more frequent. It is booked into a garage next week but if anyone has any ideas they would be very much appreciated.

My daughter's 1.4 lupo has started to develop a problem starting (usually from cold). I've just cleaned the leads, tried to start but would not fire. I then removed No1 spark plug, turned the engine over again just to check I'm getting a spark, which I am. Don't think it is a fuel problem because the plugs were wet. This happens now and again but is getting more frequent. It is booked into a garage next week but if anyone has any ideas they would be very much appreciated.

failing alternator? or battery?...dont know just putting it out there!lol.

Hi Crash,

Engine cranks over fine so Its probably not a battery/alternator issue, but I'm thinking possibly a Lambda sensor as an emissions warning light came on a few weeks ago but was reset by the garage where she bought it from.

Edited by babymerc

Hi Crash,

Engine cranks over fine so Its probably not a battery/alternator issue, but I'm thinking possibly a Lambda sensor as an emissions warning light came on a few weeks ago but was reset by the garage where she bought it from.

hmm...i doubt the lambda sensor would cause the car not to start at all though!...my emissions warning light was on for quite some time after i put my sports cat on and that didnt affect the car atall! :huh:

then again...i am pretty ****e at this sort of stuff on new(er) cars...an old mini and im there!lol

I really don't know, long gone are the days where you could pinpoint a problem with an engine!! As I said, I'm taking it to a garage in Trefnant on Wednesday, he is an ex Mercedes Technician and really knows his stuff, he certainly sorted out my A-class (when I had it) but its going to cost (probably me!!).

I would try a new set of plugs before anything, what did the code say ? did it ever misfire? it could be a Cam/Crank sensor, coil pack, Ht leads, plugs.

It is like stabbing in the dark to pin point a problem with out the codes tbh (unless its clearly obvious) hope this helps.

Lupoluke,

don't know what the code was when it was reset. when its running its as sweet as a nut, no misfires. Initially thought it could be the coil but was getting a spark at the plug when removed. As I mentioned, it doesn't do it all the time which makes it harder to pinpoint

Update, Car has been into the garage today and its started everytime they tried it and no faults on the diagnostics. Could anybody point me in the direction of the ecu to give the terminals a clean..........................clutching at straws, I know :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Just to put you in the picture, I bought a obd2 lead and vag-com, initially brought up no faults but after my daughter spending 15mins at work trying to start it, eventually got it home. I plugged it back in to the laptop and it brought up "16502 engine coolant temp sensor (G62): signal too high po118-35-10 intermittent).

Bought a new sensor and fitted it and it now starts like a dream. ;)