Strange smell issue!

Golf+sezza

:lol: Okay all I can describe it is like a wet dog smell in the car or the musty smell you get when your air-con needs servicing. (BTW, mine doesn't have air-con...)

Well that's what i've been getting inside my Lupo GTI for a while and I can't get to the bottom of it!

It usually occurs when the engine's hot and doesn't appear all the time.

Weird :huh:

Anyone got any ideas??

Edited by PFCsezza

Could well be a leaking heater matrix. Is the car losing any coolant?

sounds like the cars getting damp inside best feel every inch of the carpets and seats ect ect ect so see whats getting wet and follow it up from there could be something as simple as a leacking window rubber

Cheers guys, I'll investigate at the weekend B)

I haven't noticed coolant level going down or damp carpets, but I'll take a closer look just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, it's me again ;)

Still not got to the bottom of this one and it's getting worse. Doesn't matter if the engine's hot or cold now.

It's definitely not the heater matrix, there's no leaks from the radiator. Can't find any obvious leaking areas inside the car either.

Smell comes directly from fans.

Had the car serviced gone November, which would have included pollen filter/air filter/oil filter etc...

Now it's more like a wet dog vs old socks smell and is really rather revolting! :(

Yesterday when I got in my car to go home from work I sprayed the windscreen and the smell came rushing in through the vents then. Could it be something to do with the water in that? It is topped up regularly. Just an idea.

Anyone else had similar problem or any other ideas? :blink:

anyone rubbed cheese on your vents a'la top gear?

Hahaha, not that I'm aware of!! :lol:

That's my thought of party piece (or was it milk) for unpleasant peeps :P

You say that you top your water up regularly? Could it be something in that? if you take the pipe of you can refresh all the water in the system. Im sure someone else on here can advise you further on this. Have you stuck your head under the bonnet for a good sniff around?