MPG ON A SPORT ?

I like this thread. As someone who commutes everyday 60+ miles in my sport I have been debating whether to get another car that is more comfortable on the motorway. To be honest though, with the pretty reasonable MPG I am getting it is hard to find a reason to swap.

Here is what I get and this is very consistent, I am a bit of a geek on monitoring my mpg. You would too when your spending £200 plus a month on the stuff just to get to work.

Mixed motorway and A road (40miles) + 10 miles B road = 250 miles from a tank on 95ron (Sainsburys), 270 miles on 97ron (Sainsburys)

Motorway is mostly 50-65mph due to traffic, 70 on the A road (3500rpm ish). B road I usually push it a bit harder.

Super efficient driving at 60-65 never topping 70 = 330 mile is the best yet, but usually more like 290-300 miles from a tank.

All those are with a tank as full as I'll ever get it, usually with the needle reading beyond full for a good 40 miles. Thats around £34 around here. Just to compare, I brought the car 2 years ago and we moaned about it costing £25 to fill it, a whole £3 more than the previous car (fiesta). Oh how times have changed.

Now compare that to other diesels I have looked at such as the new passat 2.0 tdi, golf or A4 I can't justify changing cars.

Incidentally the new FSI engines seems to be pretty good. A recent trip from leicestershire to surrey and back returned consistent 44mpg in my friends TT with air con on at 70-80mph.. If only I could afford one!

Incidentally I was quite skeptical of the arguments over 95/97 ron but I do now run it on 97 all the time and it certainly is smoother and slightly more responsive on acceleration. Combine that with better fuel economy it makes the price difference negligible, for me at least.

Adrian

Edited by elajf1