throttle bodies

JasonL702

hi right i have read all the throttle body treads and i am quite inclined to do it to mine ..... would like to know what parts i would need ,,, and if it really is better off me using one made for a car instead of a bike ,,, would the block be able 2 cope with power? ... and will valve train be able to cope ? i know ill have to change cams ect ,,, but will it need new pistons and bottemend work or not?

btw its a 1.4 ,,, not 16v but normal 8v

cheers

Block and cams will be fine until its up and running.

Your not going to get big power without forced induction so the standard engine will be fine.

Bike bodies and not deigned to be used on a low reving car engine.

Correct throttle bodies designed for cars should be used.

You can go for some 45 webber carbs, and cut off the mixer tank and just use the butterflys to make your own if your on a budget.

Its a lot of work mate!

so is it really worth doing what sort of power will u get from it ,,, i know yours is running throttle bodies whats yours pushing? ,,, tbh i dont mind doing the work and spending the money if its gonna be worth my while lol but if im gonna get measly power gains from it then i aint gonna bother lol also have u herd of anyone tubro'in one of the 1.4 engines ,,, and if so what sorta power do they push?

thankss :)

Mines not running yet, but the 1.6 engine Ive fitted should be good for 160bhp on the standard cams.

I would think you'll be lucky if you can get 100bhp per litre (140bhp.)

Thats a healthy power increase though!

You could Turbo it, there is a kit off the shelf, but you would need to replace the rods, and add a decompression plate.

Supercharged 1.4 is possible, a lad on here used an Eaton charger (as found on the Cooper S Bini) and got over 160bhp on a standard engine using a decompression plate.

Which ever you choice, you're gonna be looking at £2500 - £4000 depending on how much work you can do yourself.

thanks for the info ,,, sorta opened my eyes up abit more to what i can do ,,, just need 2 make my mind up now! haha ... i can do quite a few bits my self as i am a mechanic lol but if there's gonna be alot of custom machined parts and stuff then it will probs be abit over my head lol! where abouts can u purchase the off the self turbo kit then ?

From German Ebay, and I also think that AAT may be able to import them.

http://www.advancedautosport.com/

His phone number and email address should be on there.

The decompression plate would need to be fabricated, but any machine shop should be able to cut one quite easily if you could get the design knocked up.

Actually, your in Peterbourgh?

yes i live in peterborough ... ill check them out ,,, ill give him a bell aswell i tried tsr performance but they dont seem 2 do a kit for my engine lol!

lol so lots of struggaling about ,,, i aint gonna bother just gonna go for a transplant ,,, cant seem to find any bits for it at all =( its so depressing ,,, think ill go gti transplant ,,, wud go bigger but insurance will absolutly muller me 2 death lol they already do =( i pay like £1000 on mine now :(

yeah thats what i was thinking ,,, how much can u pick the engines up ? ,,, take it u have 2 reinforce egnine mounts and stuff ,,, any work needed on chassis to cope with more power or will it be able 2 handle it ?

No, straight fit!

The engine mounts on my 1.0 Lupo were the same as the 1.4 16v Polo engine I first fitted, and were the same as the Polo GTI engine mounts I got with the engine I fitted this year.

Most Polo GTIs were flyby wire, although randomly the engine I bought came with a cable throttle.

You'll just need ECU, engine loom and possibly drive shafts (although my 1.0 shafts were the same length).

The main loom looks to be the same, just the engine loom which were different.

I paid about £230 for the engine, a 1.4 box and a GTI pedal box and complete (cut) loom but with perfect engine loom.

Sold the aircon compressor, inlet manifold and throttlebody for £160 :lol:

I used a GTI clutch, and a 1.4 16v 75hp box which fitted perfectly.

its really that easy :o

i honestly fort loads of hastle involved!

im gonna look about and phone up a few breakers to see if they have any gti's knockin about ... well i actually have a 1.4 16v gearbox in my garage :lol: cheers for the help ,,, the tread will be coming in the not 2 distant future! B)